• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best kick for self defense

I think a side kick against an untrained opponent. Against a trained opponent, I would probably try for a round kick to the upper leg, using it as a stunner to set up a strong hand technique.

In a self defence situation, how are you going to know if the attacker is trained or untrained?

This is a good point. That is why I prefer the low round kick, essentially, the Thai round kick, as I mentioned in the opening post.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point, Cross. I think the most important thing is that if a low-risk opportunity arises to do a kick that you are very comfortable with, then do it.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Great point, Cross. I think the most important thing is that if a low-risk opportunity arises to do a kick that you are very comfortable with, then do it.

I think you have the key there, Baron.....low risk=high percentage. Perhaps the key to victory, if not survival.

Like high-percentage passes that just keep moving the chains, baby!

Like high-percentage passes that just keep moving the chains, baby!

Exactly right! That's truly what it comes down to.

Gotta love the football analogies!

Me too. I gotta million of 'em. Like after you win a sparring match, act like you've been there before. I hate seeing some young kid jump all over the place like TO in the end zone.

• 2 months later...
If it's self defense, groin kick, or to the knee.

The problem that I have with kicking the knee is that, although it is a good target, is the possibility of a lawsuit being thrown your way.

but if it is truly self defense My goal is making it out in 1 piece Ill worry about the law suit afterward.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

The problem that I have with kicking the knee is that, although it is a good target, is the possibility of a lawsuit being thrown your way.

but if it is truly self defense My goal is making it out in 1 piece Ill worry about the law suit afterward.

That is one way to look at it. However, from the viewpoint of my job, I have to be able to justify the actions. It is difficult to justify, sometimes.

I agree with you to some extent. However i dont think the "worry about the lawsuit later" method applies to every situation. Has BushidoMan already mentioned if your job places you in dangerous situation you are paid to deal with it appropriately without going over board. And there are alot of other cases where the threat is minimal(but still a threat none the less) and doing 2 much could make the situation alot worse than it has to be for everyone involved.