• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ground fighting in Silat?

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry digging up an old post!

There are hundreds of different styles of Silat. It orginated in Indonesia, but you find it in Malaysia, and in the Phillipines, especially the southern portion.

The ground fighting you'll see is not like typical BJJ or Wrestling. Silat is mostly an armed system, and they assume that their opponent has one or more knives. So even in Harimau which focuses a lot on ground work, the work that's done is mostly getting yourself in a superior position and incapacitating your oponent. There is very little wrestling/grappling as we understand it in western cultural, mainly due to the reason above.

Some styles of Silat can look a bit impractical and flowery. The styles that I've been exposed to however are extremely strait forward, combat orientated, and quite nasty. (Mostly Serak/Bukti Negara and Maphilindo/Majapahit)

Sorry digging up an old post!

There are hundreds of different styles of Silat. It orginated in Indonesia, but you find it in Malaysia, and in the Phillipines, especially the southern portion.

The ground fighting you'll see is not like typical BJJ or Wrestling. Silat is mostly an armed system, and they assume that their opponent has one or more knives. So even in Harimau which focuses a lot on ground work, the work that's done is mostly getting yourself in a superior position and incapacitating your oponent. There is very little wrestling/grappling as we understand it in western cultural, mainly due to the reason above.

Some styles of Silat can look a bit impractical and flowery. The styles that I've been exposed to however are extremely strait forward, combat orientated, and quite nasty. (Mostly Serak/Bukti Negara and Maphilindo/Majapahit)

Nice post. I don't know why, but I have always found interest in the Indonesian/Phillipene styles. Especially the stick fighting styles.