• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was generalising. From what I have seen and participated in, from classes in the UK, Hong Kong and China, I have only ever come across a class that would train with reference to how other people do things. Saying that, knowing the way that Wing Chun works, I know that you don't really need to really know how some other style deals with things but every time someone did an impersonation of a "boxing style" jab or hook or cross, I had to look away because that impersonation was a poor excuse for a half decent strike.

Well I'll just say that it is useful to know how other style works but from the Wing Chun point of view, if your training is right then the style's own concepts and methods take care of any eventuallity. It has worked for people who have trained in my lineage of WC, if it has not worked for people in yours or other lineages then I suppose that is a problem that has to be looked into, and seriously I might add.

Have you ever sparred against a boxer?

No I have not. I don't know of many boxers who have sparred against WC, BJJ, or Hung Kuen guys. Does that make boxing ineffective?

A karate guy? A hung kuen guy? A jutjusu guy? A Jiujutsu guy?

More or less same as above.

Or did you also just pretend that you knew how they would fight and then imitate what you thought they did?

Fortunately for me, with continued training in the same lineage and with the same sifu I would be ready for any eventuality as much as a martial artist can be. And that my friend is Wing Chun or what Wing Chun (and quite a few other kung fu styles) was meant to be.

So I will leave the pretending to the practitioners of "New and improved" and "Modern [better than before, because we've mixed bjj,TKD kicks,etc.] Wing Chun".

I am however limited only by the fact that my training was interupted by my journey to London meaning that I still have a lot more to learn and much to improve, this includes the WC grappling and ground fighting as well as (the complete) Biu Jee.

Luckily for me I train in another kung fu school here in North London where I am learning a rich but practical system of kung fu. This will hopefully help me when I resume my training with my Rio sifu in the coming year, hopefully.

My point is, calling something mainland china wing chun doesn't mean much as all that does is rule out ONE line of wing chun, that being Yip Man's.

Calling it mainland China Wing Chun is a partial description of what I practice, that is all.

My second point is that even though some lines of wing chun have remained in China, they are not all without heavy influence from Yip Man.

Some may have influence from Yip Man and some don't. Wether there is heavy influence from Yip Man in Mainland Chinese Lineages or wether and more probably the other way round, or at least initially, I will leave for others to discuss as it is not part of our discussion.

You did not need to tell me that Hong Kong is not China and thus you do not need to differentiate them to me.

I am afraid that you have misunderstood me. I did not tell you that Hong Kong is not China. because IT IS China since the late 1990s. The Hong Kong WC may be different in some ways, but the country is still the same. Perhaps what I should have posted was that "The next time you are in Mainland China and NOT in Hong Kong you can research the WC kung fu further...."

What makes you think I have not already visited several Wing Chun schools in China?
I have my own reasons. However if you have visited several schools in China and if you do indeed go to that part of the world regularly then you may need to do more research into Mainland Chinese Wing Chun. This will reduce the chances of you misunderstanding posts and comments from practitioners of Mainland Chinese lineages of Wing Chun.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick reminder to all to keep their posts within the User Guidelines and be respectful. Differing opinions are welcome here as long as we respect those who disagree with us. Thanks!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

A quick reminder to all to keep their posts within the User Guidelines and be respectful. Differing opinions are welcome here as long as we respect those who disagree with us. Thanks!

8)

Sorry, I may have gotten carried away a little in the heat of the discussion. Any breach of the user guidlines was not intentional. :)

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• 3 weeks later...
To those whom move almost irritatingly slow with perfect timing and control, minus almost any chain punching. Timing and control are two of the most important aspects of Wing Chun. Those whom rely on the speed of their hands along with a succession of rapid fire chain punches are at a low level, of not just the application of Wing Chun; but, have also a limmited understanding of the real Wing Chun.

You make a good point for all kung fu practioners. Reliance on any one attribute makes your movements predictable. As a Hung-Ga guy I've had the opportunity to spar against Wing Chun. Those who rely on chain punching don't seem to be able to adapt once countered.

You make a good point for all kung fu practioners. Reliance on any one attribute makes your movements predictable. As a Hung-Ga guy I've had the opportunity to spar against Wing Chun. Those who rely on chain punching don't seem to be able to adapt once countered.

Yes, there is a whole lot more to Wing Chun than just chain punching. There are other types of punches, kicks and even ground fighting that although not common to all Wing Chun schools/lineages, do exist and are studied by martial artists lucky enough to be training in lineages that have maintained most if not all of the art's essence and richness.

I have not even mentioned the internal/softness training that is also part and parcel of authentic Wing Chun.

IMO Wing Chun is one of the better CMA out there. It's a time tested art with a rich successful fighting history. I think it falls back on the individual to learn all aspects of their art to become a well rounded fighter.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree WC is a good style but I believe the teacher makes the biggest difference more then the style.I say that because I've had 7 WC teaches in th epast but its the one I'm with now that I've made fast progress.If you have a great teracher he can make you great.If you have a so so teacher well good luck..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I agree WC is a good style but I believe the teacher makes the biggest difference more then the style.I say that because I've had 7 WC teaches in th epast but its the one I'm with now that I've made fast progress.If you have a great teracher he can make you great.If you have a so so teacher well good luck..

And of course the term "good teacher/sifu" should not only refer to a person who has a gifted ability to pass his knowledge to others, but also to a person who HAS the COMPLETE and AUTHENTIC knowledge of his art in his possession, in the first place.

And of course the term "good teacher/sifu" should not only refer to a person who has a gifted ability to pass his knowledge to others, but also to a person who HAS the COMPLETE and AUTHENTIC knowledge of his art in his possession, in the first place.

Exactly