• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New guy here, so sorry if this has been discussed previously, I'd be surprised if it hasn't but I am looking for some fresh opinions.

I have a chance to train with Charles Allen who trained under Marcio Simas who trained under Carlos Gracie Sr. Needless to say he is going to be quite experienced, I assume a great teacher, and old school...all classes are gi classes.

Or I can keep training where I am training. With a young cage fighter who trains no-gi all the time. He is pretty good.

I train for self defense and fitness, no intention of competing. So my first instinct is that no-gi is better, I mean, we train in shorts and t-shirts, just like what I'd be fighting in if some drunkard decided to get froggy at a bar or the park. But then again, we get so slippery that halfway through class, we can't hardly even hold on to each other, let alone keep an arm trapped for a lock or bar. That's not very realistic...if some guy and I get into a scrap, we aren't going to be all slippery like that. The gi would give a more realistic representation with no slipping out of each others' grips during training. But I feel like I am wasting my time drilling and practicing things like lapel chokes and fighting for position using the sleeves, pants and cuffs of my rolling partner in class. No fool that I might end up scrapping with will be wearing a gi.

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could you do both? Cover all your bases. Charles Allen's teacher Marcio has a great rep according to my instructor, so you'd likely get a great training experience with him.

I am, however, surprised Mr. Allen is not offering no-gi classes. The BJJ schools here all offer no-gi at least once per week.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Personally, I think the gi grappling is more applicable to self defense. This is especially true if (like me) you live in the Northern U.S. wear people wear plentiful clothing 9 months out of the year. Even shorts and a t-shirt, if I am allowed to grab them, change the game immensely in favor of the gi-fighter. There are plenty of chokes and control holds that need nothing more than a t-shirt to be effective.

This is not to say theat no-gi is bad. Submission grappling is absolutely one of the best self defense martial arts there is, and it does prepare you for the situation of having a lightly/tightly clothed opponent. Plus, if your instructor is an MMA fighter, you're probably learning invaluable striking skills.

I train both, and I can't imagine having to make the choice.

Something to keep in mind: If this new guy is so close-minded that he won't let you go no-gi once week or so, do you really want him as an instructor?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Try it, stay where you have the most fun. Feel free to switch at anytime.

"Self-defence" realistically, is not something you are likely to need. And if it is, either one will likely do as good of job.

Personally I'd probably go the MMA route, Gi is not for me, and I like to hit far too much ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

its good to do them both, because they compliment each other nicely. they say gi will help you get technique better, so it is suggested that peopel begin in those first. if you can, id say do them both. otherwise, see which one is more fun for you.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

Lapel chokes and using pants and sleaves is definately not "wasting your time" as you put it. Imagine using a lapel choke against a man wearing a coat. Imagine how he is gonna feel with a coat with zippers (ouch). I train mostly with a gi, but usually about once a week we go no gi. I like them both, but sometimes prefer the gi for reasons stated about slipping and sliding all over each other when you are both slick with sweat. Also, where I live, people wear clothes so why not learn to use them as an advantage?

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

You'll find that all the greats: The entire Gracie Family, Saulo Ribeiro, Pedro Sauer, and the Machados (to name a small few) all train Gi. Those I met and trained with tell me it really helps to advance the no-gi game. You'll find yourself getting different chokes and such because Gi training is much more technical and forces that from you. You'll become much better by training Gi. Then learn to apply what you learn gi to no-gi. It takes time, but you'll eventually start to see there's many more no-gi grips than you previously thought.

Go get em'! Have fun.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

"Self-defence" realistically, is not something you are likely to need. And if it is, either one will likely do as good of job.

Personally I'd probably go the MMA route, Gi is not for me, and I like to hit far too much ;)

If you can, do both. However, as far as the slippery issue, that will be good for you to learn to deal with; what if the drunkard spilled his beer? It's also good because you're training to do holds that are really hard when they're slippery. Imagine how much easier it will be when they're dry.

But if you can, train in both. You'll get a different experience from each one that you wont get from the other.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

My sensei always said that Cross-triaing is better; then you'll get a wider experience in how self-defence works, and also what different styles are like...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi