• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can I explain a parent what is a Karate Tournament?

When I mention that our dojo was invited to a Tournaments some parents think that is all about kumite. I want to write a letter and explain what is a karate tournament, is not only kumite but katas and weapons competition and the benefit of it. What is your opinion?

Amy

American Shotokan Karate School

Creating a future with the wisdom of the past.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

we actually take our kids to a tournament to observe. the parents really get into it. once thier kids are involved they really like it. we just finished a local tournament and the parents were really hyped up after it was finished. i think the parents were more excited about it then some of the kids were. one of my sons got 1st place in the sparring competition and I was more excited about him winning then he was. Take the parents to a tournament or have a mini one in your dojo to show them what to expect.

blessings...

we actually take our kids to a tournament to observe. the parents really get into it. once thier kids are involved they really like it. we just finished a local tournament and the parents were really hyped up after it was finished. i think the parents were more excited about it then some of the kids were. one of my sons got 1st place in the sparring competition and I was more excited about him winning then he was. Take the parents to a tournament or have a mini one in your dojo to show them what to expect.

blessings...

Excellent idea.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

The mini tournament is something we do with the kids & youth to demonstrate what is expected of them. It helps to get them used to the procedures and etiquette too.

As for articulating this our sensei put a little thing together as part of the information package when kids join up. It basically says that Karate tournaments ( for us anyway ;) ) comprise competitive events in kihon (basics), kata (forms) and kumite (sparring). The info wasn't very long, nor did it really need to be, as well.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I suppose you could do a flyer that you could pass out to all of the parents describing what happens at the tournaments. List the events, and describe how they will compete and be scored in each one.

Then, list some of the benefits that tournament competition can have. Like the way they promote sportsmanship, determination, the drive to achieve and do your best, the respect learned from judges, scorers, and other officials. Also, how to win with grace, and lose with dignity. Explain that it is a learning experience that has no equal.

This should help them get a good idea of what tournaments are about.