• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wado ryu karate

sliknik

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, Ive just started Studying Wado-Ryu and I was doing Ippon Kumite/Gumite (Anyone tell me the differnce between these or is it just a spelling?)

I dont really think im compitent enough to explain it, But i'd be intrested in reading it if anyone does put up an explanation

The Attacker did a Junziki, then step though to do the opposite punch, while the defender Jodan uke the 2nd punch from the attacker, then the Defender moves up into the attacker, while punching to the uncovered side from the Jodan uke, then pushes the attacker away using the two points of contact made.

Thats my very bad and probably wrong explanation of one of the first two I was taught last sunday.

In my honest opinion though sliknik its best to learn the kumite from your sensei since they can very from school to school, so its best to learn the proper one from your sensei rather than having to un-learn and relearn the kumite.

In my Shotokan dojo ippon kumite (one step kumite) is used after you've earned 6th kyu. The attacker is first going to go into zenkutsu-dachi & announce jodan. The defender indicates their understanding and is in yoi.

The attacker steps forward, performing jodan oi-zuki the technique with kiai. The defender steps back into zenkutsu-dachi, blocking with age uke, and kiais on the counter attack, usually gyaku-zuki (although creative counters are encouraged).

This process is repeated for chudan oi-zuki, and finally chudan migeri.

This ippon kumite can also be lengened to 4, and 5, where mawashi-geri and kekomi can be done.

We also use ippon kumite for gradings.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, Ive just started Studying Wado-Ryu and I was doing Ippon Kumite/Gumite (Anyone tell me the differnce between these or is it just a spelling?)

There is no difference. It is a matter of the shifting (not "fixed")pronunciation of the Japanese language. In the same way, kick is pronounced both "keri" and "Geri." From the Japanese tongue, these sounds are very similar.