• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Athleticism over Practicality

cathal

Personally, I prefer doing katas in their original forms, but that's because I come from a traditional background. Although if certain techniques are made to look more asthetically pleasing I don't mind, provided it doesn't detract too much from the moves' intention/bunkai.

For example, a chudan or kansetsu yoko geri is changed to jodan to look more impressive is okay. But the application should still be taught as chudan/kansetsu.

Obviously it depends on what type of school you're in. If you're in a traditional school, do it that way, don't change it.

But if you're in a "freestyle/xma type" style, then it doesn't matter as the katas are more about asthetics than practicality anyway.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now while it can certainly skew the public's view of martial arts...martial arts for show and entertainment I don't really have too much of a problem with. It's an amazing display and a real example of athleticism.

What I don't necessarily agre with is the modification of techniques to favour that athletcism over practical techniques.

On the topic of breaking there's another subject I don't really have a problem with. :) It is a great demonstration of a martial artist's knowledge of how to use their bodies.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I think the forms have changed more for athletics purposes because to the amount of competition that goes on. When people see a powerful waist level side kick, they don't think much of it. But if they see a slower, over the top of the head side kick that locks, they think "wow, cool!" The waist level kick is more effective for self defense, and much more practical, but the lay person does not really see this because of the more flexible, athletic person kicking into the sky.

Personally, I like a little more power over more flexibility any day.

Possibly TV and the Media have contributed to what some may see as Martial Arts, but at the end of the day, i prefer to train under a doctrin which even though modifies techniques slightly and over a reasonable period of time, still keeps the "Traditional Art of Karate" in mind.

Sensei Mark, I AGREE! I just can't believe this is anything close to traditional. I really hope these individuals do it just for the fun of competing and train realitically in a traditional dojo someplace where flips and gymastics are not taught as self defense.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think that a lot of kata change is done for three reasons:

Show - It has to look good especially in competition

Individual preference - Techniques are added and or subtracted for a variety of reasons. Some feel that their change is bringing the techique back to it's original point.

forgetfullness -- people do kata, forget specific techique and it never materializes in the kata as it is passed down

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Every technique has a purpose. The purpose of any technique is the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever.

We aren't performers. We are martial artists. I know some who have been larked down in kata comp for "Showing off" rather than performing technique with a thorough demonstration of it's purpose.

If Karate-Do changes, what will it become? No, "Honor tradition and etiquette." It is a line in our kun. Our style is set against the slide into aesthetics and purposeless techniques.

The day I see a 20 foot-high jawline is the day I will stop training the "old way" and start making my yoko geri go "straight up."

Yes it is easy to see the mongrelisation of the traditional arts.

After reviewing quite a few so called traditional martial arts demos on cable TV recently as well as the format that is put forward, i tend to see that Americans seem to be the ones who do the flashy demos with a more gymnastical approach as opposed to tradition.

I may be wrong, but Americans seem to like to change / alter / or edit the traditional martial arts content out of their styles and add / create / modify techniques to suit the competition.

This long term approach to dialuting their martial arts no doubt contributes to the standard of actuale fighting skills.

NOTE: This is not a pregidous statement but more of an observation as to how the world (from my point of view) views American Martial Arts when we see it advertised on Cable.

This is also one of the reasons i prefer the Japanese Arts, as they see the benefits of traditional technique as opposed to some sort of strange so called martial arts competition which would look more comfortable in a Circus.

But if you're in a "freestyle/xma type" style, then it doesn't matter as the katas are more about asthetics than practicality anyway.

ahhh, thats it, "freestyle/xma

Thats the problem, freestyle/xma

No one knows what the hell that is, its not a style or form but something created to look good but with not much substance.

You might as well take up ballet, or dancing.

Every technique has a purpose. The purpose of any technique is the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever.

We aren't performers. We are martial artists. I know some who have been larked down in kata comp for "Showing off" rather than performing technique with a thorough demonstration of it's purpose.

If Karate-Do changes, what will it become? No, "Honor tradition and etiquette." It is a line in our kun. Our style is set against the slide into aesthetics and purposeless techniques.

The day I see a 20 foot-high jawline is the day I will stop training the "old way" and start making my yoko geri go "straight up."

I agree. I've known high ranking instructors change technique and when one student was bold enough to as "Why did you change that?" the response was "Why was it there to begin with?" (the instructor's question was why was the spear hand techniques used here in this exact place.) to which the student had no answer. That should have been an opportunity for training and enlightenment. I started my MA training with this instructor as a white belt with him over 30 years ago. The fact was it was his karate and he decided what stays and what gets changed and blast tradition. He is doing very well with his schools. He is very good technically and is an excellent fighter too...even at his age. He is highly respected. Although I believe kata should stay traditional w/o change the fact is that it does and it has over the years. Even instructors 100 years ago changed kata so finding "original" kata would be very difficult if not impossible. I think changing technique simply because an instructor does not know the significance as to why the technique is used in that way in that application is wrong. It happens. At my age and with my leg/foot injury I cannot perform kata exactly as I was taught anymore so I practice it with "adjustments" (sorry sensei!). It's wrong but that's life. MHO

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt