• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3 different styles

Alot of great points made by everybody here. I believe that anyone who takes a Martial Art whether it is considered sport or not is giving them an advantage to defend themselves in any situation. How that person trains and reacts to events will depend on their outcome in a given situation. Now for my opinion on competition sparring: Some people train to fight in rings against an opponent usually sized to fit them. Matches last for a certain amount of time and are then stopped so a fighter can rest. The strikes by each fighter are usually powerful and effective. The match is called when sufficient points are achieved, there is a knock out, or someone throws in a towel. That is one way of viewing sport fighting. Then their is the other type. The ones you see at every city local tournament where a tap on the head to your opponent stops the match and a point is awarded for that unworthy, poor technique type hit. At the end, someone wins a trophy and claims Kumite champion for the day. Now I know alot of people are probably going to be upset by this, but you know what I am talking about. Their are Sport Karate schools all over the country teaching 10 year olds how to score tournament points and not how to throw a proper punch. So this is my opinion on two totally different type of sport martial art type fighting. I put my money on the first scenerio fighter winning in a street fight. Menjo, sorry to hear about your injuries, but I want to clarify something for you. A fracture and a break are exactly the same thing. You fractured four ribs, but maybe one was a complete fracture. Watch out for these injuries, they can penetrate the lung if reinjured before totally healing.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Menjo, sorry to hear about your injuries, but I want to clarify something for you. A fracture and a break are exactly the same thing. You fractured four ribs, but maybe one was a complete fracture. Watch out for these injuries, they can penetrate the lung if reinjured before totally healing.

Ok, wow I didn't know that! Well, three were cracked, and one had two cracks...one big one. Its probably what you said(Complete fracture, if that techniquely exists).

And thanks for the advice, although that was awhile ago.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I basicly agree with the original post. Here in Japan thats pretty much the accepted view. Each way is classified by either a do or a jutsu, or as kakutogi (fighting sport). Then there are hyoen( performance) styles, and action teams(stunt, action martial arts) There really isnt 1 all inclusive term to recognise them all together, like the English term Martial Arts.

Thats why I find arguments over "what is a martial art" , based on English dictionary definitions of the term "martial", somewhat amusing.

There are different expressions and ways for different purposes. And its so much easier when they have their own defining term.

Of course problems do arise when a certain art has elements of 2 or 3 ways all combined. Then its just up to you on which term you use.

My training has encompased aspects from all the diferent groups, but when someone asks me what I do, I define it as Budo.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

post removed by mods in error and re-posted by me with permission from admin

that is another reason why this discussion is wrong to begin with. Within the sport catagory, you have point sparring on one end of the spectrum and full contact mma on the other and yet in these two almost polar opposites you have similar ideas/philosophies that come from the two other proposed types of fighting. Point sparring can be said to be an ultimate expression of getting in that single perfct hit, if you ignore what it has turned into of course. Does this make point sparring budo, jutsu or sport or all three?

what do i know, i'm an idiot.