• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3 different styles

And in "point" sparring, contact can get a little rougher than you would think.

There is no reason to seperate these two cows from the rest of the herd.

No it can't - the judges won't let it. In my karate days, I was training under a guy from japan who didn't believe in point sparring. it was hard contact. However, I was also training at another karate school (american) and they entered tournaments. I had point taken away from me for excessive contact on several occasions.

In my experiences with point fighting, at the higher ranks, anyhow, the contact got a little intense sometimes. But, every tournament is different.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would sport TKD and point Karate be exceptions? Points gained in sport TKD are gained through body displacement, which means that you have to be able to deliver a fairly strong blow. It is also possible to win by knockout at sport TKD (Olympic). And in "point" sparring, contact can get a little rougher than you would think.

There is no reason to seperate these two cows from the rest of the herd.

This sentiment is common on these forums. Cross training and competing in contact events pretty much clears up any confusion. If everybody were a seasoned street fighter, the "effectiveness" question would finally be answered.

In my experiences with point fighting, at the higher ranks, anyhow, the contact got a little intense sometimes. But, every tournament is different.

Same here. Depends on the school, but my experiance involved more contact than expected.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Same here. Depends on the school, but my experiance involved more contact than expected.

that's expected, because the lower ranks tend to lack control - they still stop the matches though, IME. I was an orange belt (third rank where I trained) when I first got points taken away for excessive contact.

that's expected, because the lower ranks tend to lack control - they still stop the matches though, IME. I was an orange belt (third rank where I trained) when I first got points taken away for excessive contact.

Well actually, at the higher levels I feel even more contact, its not alot, but its more than what alot of people think. I think it varies alot for each country.

William Penn

canada must be WAY different than the US. I've never felt any level of contact as high as I do in the ring, and have always gotten warning / deductions for making hard contact.

Yeah, contact isnt much still, and its defitnaly not as much as in MMA!

Canada is still of course point sparring, but I think for JKA they keep the level of contact the same through all countries.

I'm probably just making a big deal of it, I'm guessing the level of contact is about the same.

William Penn

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the degree of contact. I can suck it up and eat just about any punch once (With a few exceptions :D ). The difference is that in point sparring, if you get hit, no matter how hard, you only get hit once. In MMA, if you get rocked, prepare to be hit over and over again.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the degree of contact. I can suck it up and eat just about any punch once (With a few exceptions :D ). The difference is that in point sparring, if you get hit, no matter how hard, you only get hit once. In MMA, if you get rocked, prepare to be hit over and over again.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Unfortunatly, I got too cocky with that mindset and got 4 ribs broken sparring a 4th degree black belt recently(well 3 fracured, but still, only 1 actually broken). Sometimes that one hit is much worse than any barrage of techniques. :karate:

William Penn