Kung Jung Moo Sool

Moo Duk Kwan

Kun Gek Do

bunbu ichi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't even attempt trying to name all of them. :smile:

For Hapkido alone there is a boat load!!

This is just some of the names that Choi, Yong Sul used...

Hapkido

Yu Sul (Yoo Sool)

Yawara

Hap Ki

Hap Ki Yu Sul

Hap Ki Yu Kwon Sul

Dae Dong Ryu Yu Sul

Good luck on your report, Crucio. :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

It's the same with TKD. There is so many versions, it's not funny. I study Kwok Wu Chuen TKD (a mix of WTF and kung fu at later ranks). There are Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan, ITF, WTF, ect. Tang Soo Do has a boat load, too. ITF (TSD), IMA, WTF (TSD), .... the IMA and ITF are exactly the same (in forms, techniques ect), too. They should join together lol. I could go on, but it'll take all day lol. So I won't.

Laurie F

Actually not versions ... WTF, ITU, ITF GTF, USTF, ATA, ITAetc. etc. are the diferent associations or organizations of TKD. Of the arts pronounced 'tie kwahn doe', if they're spelled: Taekwondo - probably WTF, with the kind of sparring you'll see in the Olympics, the largest organization

Taekwon-do - probably ITF, following Choi

Tae Kwon Do - probably with one of the small federations, an independent, probably calling themselves 'traditional' with little changes in the last 50 years

All of these are kicking/punching arts that have placed more stress on the kicking aspects than did their forebears. How much stress is placed on competition, sparring, forms, etc in a particular school varies much more with the particular instructor than with what it's called or what organization the school is affiliated with.

Then there are ecclectic offshoots of TKD .... (this is where the crosstraining among styles happens) adding either some Kung Fu, graplling etc.

Essentially politics, what set of forms are done, and what rules of sparring are followed... really all these arts come from the same background, the Koreans that studied Japanese/Okinawin Karate and opened schools (Kwans) after World War II that (mostly) cooperated with each other to achieve more success.

Kong Soo Do = Korean pronounciation for karate-do.

Tang Soo Do = Korean pronounciation for way of the Tang hand.

Karate Do = Okinawin way of the Kara (Tang dynasty Chinese) hand.

To discover just how many associations there are among styles check this out http://martial-arts-network.com/orgs_pg.htm

Oh and for more info on Korean Style you can go to http://www.martialartsresource.com/korean/korframe.htm

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Black Tae Kwon Do

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-25 12:44 ]

!!!! :eek:!!!!

I thought there were only like 4 Korean arts... Geesh, there's so many.

Goodluck on your report crucio. I hope you don't have to explain the history of every art or anythin' lol.

Cya

hiya

[ This Message was edited by: Hiya on 2002-04-25 21:23 ]

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I agree Kickchick. The style of TKD I study is an offshoot. But We are certified both in TKD (WTF) and Kung Fu. It's a weird combo, but I've been there long enough to know it's a pretty cool combo. I saw the Shaolin forms that we will be learning, and now I can't wait. I have to learn more about Kung Fu, but what I learned so far is so cool. I also wanna learn Hapkido (besides what my TSD teacher taught us), so I would have to look into the different styles of Hapkido.

I don't bash an art for being "new". If it works, then fine, use it. If it doesn't, throw it out. I really like this style TKD. It works for me :smile:

But yes, there are different orgs and assn's. But if you look at each org or assn, their styles are slightly to way different from each other. I've only known two assn's to be the same, which are TSD (the ITF and the IMA). The rest are noticablely different no matter what style it is.

Laurie F

• 10 months later...

Korean Martial Arts as a whole is a pretty complete system. Somewhere in the Korean martial arts there is something for you...TKD for kicks.. ChongdoKwan for close promixty hand strikes.... Combat Hapkido for Takedowns and ground grappling. If you want to learn a lil weapons like Kendo, just take up Kumdo, which is like Kendo, except it involves a more complete fighting system, such as kicks and takedowns... The korean martial arts is truly amazing. When I get higher rank in TKD, i want to go to Korea and maybe study some martial arts which generally only appear in Korea.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.