RichardHangHong

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this. Do you train in bunkai in your school? If so, how often and do you feel you do too little, just enough or too much?

Every class.

kata -> bunkai -> kumite (of various types from punching and kicking to rolling about on the floor.)

Obviously with lower grades, simpler and arguably more effective techniques. I think one of the aspects is to teach the independant analysis of kata. A lot of clubs have broken the link between kata and kumite, which is a shame, it devalues the art.

If you think you don't do enough bunkai, or don't link it to kumite there's a book you should read. Actually, it's a book every karateka should read.

Bunkai Jutsu: Ian Abernethy

The Karate Wiki: Information about karate written by karate practioners... Yes, that means you!

We have more than 130 something bunkai, and I would say a good 75% of those are not found in our kata.

I'm not sure that makes sense, bunkai is the analysis of kata. It's a search.

The Karate Wiki: Information about karate written by karate practioners... Yes, that means you!

If you think you don't do enough bunkai, or don't link it to kumite there's a book you should read. Actually, it's a book every karateka should read.

Bunkai Jutsu: Ian Abernethy

Yes, Bunkai-Jutsu is a fantastic read. I just finished reading it a few weeks ago. It took me a while to read the whole thing as I have such a busy schedule and am not the greatest reader in the world. I tried reading at night but it kept me awake thinking about all the different ideas it gave me. :lol:

I'm now reading Aiden Trimble's Karate Kata Applications and Funakoshi's 20 Guiding Principles.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Yes, Bunkai-Jutsu is a fantastic read. I just finished reading it a few weeks ago. It took me a while to read the whole thing as I have such a busy schedule and am not the greatest reader in the world. I tried reading at night but it kept me awake thinking about all the different ideas it gave me. :lol:

I have to be honest, it completely revolutionised the way I look at and practice karate. He also has an excellent set of articles on his web site which everyone should read even if they don't have the book or videos.

http://www.iainabernethy.com/articles/BasicBunkaiPart1.asp

It has 6 parts so far.

Another which is worth reading for more advanced practitioners is a book by Bill Burgar called Five Years One Kata. It's hmm, radical. Recommending that we each develop our own kata from the favourite techniqes we've learned.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that bunkai is an essential part of karate training as it helps the transition from kata to kumite/applied techniques for self defence as well as helping one to understand just what it is we are doing in our respective katas.

I totally agree with you.

At the dojo where I train, bunkai is trained quite often. I would estimate, at least, once a week, with 3 classes held per week. After a kata is learnt, the student begins to learn the bunkai principles behind the movements and techniques. This process starts at the lower ranks, and continues through the advance rankings.

We do a lot a bunkai in our dojo

but we do more then just that

we also do sparring of sorts were we are supposed to use a certain bunkai or variation.

We do a lot of bunkai variations that are still the same movements only slightly different and in a different context.

My sensei works hard to make sure we see how kata can be applied to real fighting.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa