• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traveling to another country / dojo

mid life crisis

I am traveling to Australia at the end of June and will be visiting another dojo there. I have tried to get in touch with the sensei with no luck. Does anyone have any advice on proper etiquette for visiting another dojo. I am a student of Shotokan Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If the dojo is affiliated with Shotokan as well you can go through your organization via your sensei. They will contact the sensei there and provide a reference for you.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The dojo is in Waikerie, South Australia. My sensei was unsure about how to get in touch and offered to write a letter of introduction for me. As I said I have been unable to get in touch via email at the address I found on the internet.

It is definetly frowned upon by other instructors to have people "just show up." The proper etiquette is to get in contact with them and ask. If you really can not get in touch before moving, take a typed letter from your instructor with his blessing and requests for you to continue training. Talk one on one with this sensei when he is not conducting classes. I think you will find that this will work for you.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I would not show up with bag in hand to work out. Go and introduce yourself first. Be very formal in your approach also.

A very good point Brandon Fisher

A letter of introduction would be a good idea but that too may not open the door for you either. Good luck

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 2 weeks later...

Osu mid life crisis,

Ideally organising your trip abroad to include contacting possible instructors which you intend to enquire about participating in their classes would no doubt be proper ettiquet.

But of course, life being as it is sometimes makes this not possible.

I would then locate the dojo, find out the class times and then visit and introduce yourself and i am sure that the instructor would welcome you into their club to train.

We tend to be like that here in Oz!