• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I accidently posted this in the Karate thread--I was wondering if there are any Bagua practitioners here. They study Bagua at our home dojo in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but we only incorporate some basics from the style in our karate training in Atlanta.

Sounds exotic and interesting. I'd love to learn more if anyone here practices or has practiced it.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've seen a little of it practiced, and done a few drills when I was in tai chi, but that's about it. I would really love to see some of the work with the oversized bagua weapons. I've never seen a 5 1/2 foot chinese broadsword used before, and in tai chi magazine, they have a picture of some guy using what looks like three foot long 'chucks.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Here's a site link to some info on Bagua Zhang. Surprisingly it's not even listed on our home dojo website, as it's only taught to blackbelts and above (except for basic Bagua stepping).

http://www.shenwu.com/bagua.htm

I'm intrigued by the mobility of the style and curious about how they utilize weapons training.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

There are several websites one can look at that give a lot of history about Bagua and look at some of the teechniques. I have just begun my study of Bagua and it looks like it is going to compliment my Tai Chi style just nicely. I will keep you informed on how the crossover is.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I've practiced what I've learned from books, incorporating it in my fighting style.mostly footwork and hand-strikes.

look for Robert W. Smith books on Bagua(or PAkua)

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty