• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question on Muay Thai sparring

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
depends - it varies from school to school. IMO, it should be 3 - 6 months. until then you should only drill and if anything, spar lightly. Don't be so anxious though - your time will come.

Yep, expect alot of cardio and fitness training to get you into the right shape...for your sparring in the future.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

depends - it varies from school to school. IMO, it should be 3 - 6 months. until then you should only drill and if anything, spar lightly. Don't be so anxious though - your time will come.

I was just wondering, how many times a week do you train, and for how long?

When you start sparring is up to your instructor.The first time I took karate it was a little over a month after starting before I sparred for the first time and for about 2 months after I only sparred the instructor.

I couldn't agree more. I lost a couple of students a few years back because I wouldn't let them spar on their first day. They only had wrestling and bjj as a background, no striking at all.

In karate, if I remember right, it was at least 2 to 3 months before I sparred. For some crazy reason my first Kru let me spar either my first day of Muay Thai or some time during my first week, I can't remember(maybe been hit too many times in the old noggen). Let me say this, though..at the time I won nationals in the USANKF and was scheduled for the jr. olympics when I first got into Muay Thai..even though my hands were way too low from Karate.

Before I let someone free spar in Muay Thai I'd make them wait at least 3 months and that's only if they trained at least 3 days a week. Two main reasons why it's this way: 1. most beginners(at least 90%)don't understand what control is; i.e. they will throw a crazy haymaker as hard as they can when it's not a fight,it's SPARRING 2. Most people have horrible defense for a while but they should invest at least 3 months to learn a little bit of defense so they don't get hurt

Now, I would let someone spar in Karate much quicker before I would let them spar in Muay Thai...just my two cents.