• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What weapons do you use?

So far? um..

wakizashi, staff, sai and this set up I found with little blades but one is shorter then the other >.> makes for a good pair of weapons

not to mention yourself!

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Knife, club (hanbo) primarily.

All blackbelts in the art I study must be proficient with a handgun as well. Part of the test is a Q&A and practical conering care, cleaning, and deplyment of a firearm.

All blackbelts in the art I study must be proficient with a handgun as well. Part of the test is a Q&A and practical conering care, cleaning, and deplyment of a firearm.

Handgun? Not a bad idea for a modern art, really.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Handgun? Not a bad idea for a modern art, really.

I think that this is a good idea as well. Just owning a gun is never enough. You must learn to use it correctly. You also have to learn what to do when the weapon malfunctions on you. Do you have more than one magazine? Do you practice reloading? Do you practice double taps? There is so much involved. Learning to effectively use a handgun is an art in and of itself.

Thanks guys. Bushido man, as usual, I agree with you. If you want to think of it in those terms, working with firearms could almost be considered an art.

As far as what we mandate in training it is relitively basic. Guys have taken NRA basic classes to fulfill the requirement, one took a college course in firearms called rifle/pistol (yeah, don't see that often). I've given instruction in it as well to meet the requirement.

Most of it is safety/care related. However, range time is expected as well as the ability to hit a target from a CQB distance (use a lot of basic marksmanship things). Reloading and malfunction drills should be understood as well, at l east in a basic sense. I use a ball and dummy drill with a tap,rack, ready response.

I don't delve into tactics too much, unless one of the guys has a real intrest in it. Mainly we make them understand cover vs. concealment on that front.

To be clear, it's not like we spend tons of time on this aspect. But I think that an art purported to be for self defense in the day and age can't ignore the firearm as a potental tool.

You are right. Learning the firearm can involve all kinds of aspects, and I think that cover and concealment is one of the more advanced, and more fun ways to train. I hope to do more of this in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

When I get back to the states, I'm going to take courses and try and get a permit. Currently I am studying Meifu-shinkage-ryu and am down with shiruken.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

The ease of getting a permit will depend on what state you live in and how restrictive their laws are. Hopefully, you'll end up where you can do so.

As for the shuriken, good for you. I couldn't hit the side of my house with one of those if I tried.

• 3 weeks later...