• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving out belts

Shotokan-Karate

Yup, I agree with Brandon, patusai and KarateK it can depend on the situation. I've seen people pass their gradings because they had so much spirit even though their technique was lacking. Remember as well that you don't always know what the examiner/instructor is looking for. What you think is good or bad, they may think the opposite.

And, to add to this, while there is a minimum standard to meet, each student should be evaluated not only on the physical but the mental and philosphical too, not always be compared to others. I have held students back that were very physically talented but who lacked in these other areas; and ,yes, I have promoted students lacking in physical skills who exemplify budo in their effort and character. Eventually the physical will catch up and hopefully vice versa.

8)

I have done that also.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The belt means nothing. The person wearing it matters. Either they are worthy of their grade, and so make the belt mean something. Or they are not worthy, and so make themselves liars.

Unfortunately, some for their own reasons are offering belts and "Easy passes" as incentives.

That is not Bushido. Not Budo. Not even Karate.

In Matsubayashi-Ryu, Nagamine Lineage.

We have a simple structure to prevent these type of gradings (although sometimes those deserving have to wait in a result.

To gain your shodan you must be at minimum 16 years of age and have trained in a World Matsubayashi-Ryu Karate Association™ (WMKA) registered dojo in good standing for three years. (Usually ends up being about 5 or so anyway)

And then for dans it gets harder e.g.

To get Nidan you must be on Shodan for two years.

To get Sandan must be on nidan for three years.

(These are a minimum)

But get the point?

Anyway thats just how our style and association oeprates.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo