• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving out belts

Shotokan-Karate

seems as though a lot of dojo's dont care as much any more and are giving out ranks for the money. it burns me up to know that i work my butt off, train my hardest and i see people in other schools who achieve "black belt" in a year. im sorry but people just dont learn all that information that fast. ive been studying my form for a year and have just gotten my Blue belt a couple weeks ago. as it is, my sensei sais I am not allowed to test until october, at the very earliest. and thats fine with me! i want to learn, i want to learn this form right and i want to train hard. then i feel i have atleast earned my rank. :kaioken:

ok i feel better now that i have vented :)

"Disqualification before Dishonor"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so do I. Very cathartic isn't it? LOL

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I cant imagine it working. Obviously as our club don't do this I find it hard to comprehend how the system works. Then again we grade differently to a lot of clubs anyway.

We do have quite a high standard, granted we are not the largest club in our area and there are a lot of drop outs when it gets tough. But that only makes it more worthwhile when you get to the higher grades.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I failed my last test. I've written about this in a previous post. Our gradings are done by a group of senior BBs and the head of our organisation, not by our sensei. But, anyway, one student in our club recently failed a grade for the second or third time. Our sensei gave her the belt anyway because he thought she deserved it, even though the instructors doing the grading on the day didn't. What do you think about that?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I guess it depends on why she failed. If it was pure nerves but she performs well in class then I understand the thought behind it.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I agree too that it depends on the situation.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Yup, I agree with Brandon, patusai and KarateK it can depend on the situation. I've seen people pass their gradings because they had so much spirit even though their technique was lacking. Remember as well that you don't always know what the examiner/instructor is looking for. What you think is good or bad, they may think the opposite.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Yup, I agree with Brandon, patusai and KarateK it can depend on the situation. I've seen people pass their gradings because they had so much spirit even though their technique was lacking. Remember as well that you don't always know what the examiner/instructor is looking for. What you think is good or bad, they may think the opposite.

And, to add to this, while there is a minimum standard to meet, each student should be evaluated not only on the physical but the mental and philosophical too, not always be compared to others. I have held students back that were very physically talented but who lacked in these other areas; and ,yes, I have promoted students lacking in physical skills who exemplify budo in their effort and character. Eventually the physical will catch up and hopefully vice versa.

8)

Edited by ninjanurse

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/