• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving out belts

Shotokan-Karate

I have also noted that different schools have different levels of quality. The larger the school is, the lower the general quality of their techniques. So they grade on their own levels...but comparing them to their affiliated organization can make it seem like they aren't very good at all.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other people have said similar things, but here is my two bits.

I think a black belt is kinda like confirmation...almost like "You are ready to learn and understand" or "Welcome!"

It is also something internal. No one can take it away. A true BB shouldn't care what color his belt is (it should be worn with humility). Rank, I feel, is over rated and the least important aspect of MA.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I think a black belt is kinda like confirmation...almost like "You are ready to learn and understand" or "Welcome!"

It is also something internal. No one can take it away. A true BB shouldn't care what color his belt is (it should be worn with humility). Rank, I feel, is over rated and the least important aspect of MA.

I agree rank is too important to some. That's their thing and they are welcomed to it. It does not matter who is a black belt or who is "master." Frankly, I use to and it use to upset me (especially those that created their own styles by changing a few kata or techniques of a few kata) but today it is to each his own. They are welcomed to their path. There is nothing wrong with it. It's of course not for me to say that there is something wrong.

Before it was black belts then it reached a point where the "thing" was to be at a level to wear the "red and white" checked belts or other "master" level belts. Americans need status. I do too. Just different in different areas.

If enough people believe and acknowledge you as a 9th degree black belt then you are one. The old masters were at that level because they were acknowledged. There may have been other martial artists who were never recognized as master who were technically as good as some of the masters. I think that was one of the points in Karate Kid I.

Opps, I rambling again...sorry

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Isn't it frustrating to see people get their black belts in as little as 2 years when you know they're not worth it? I see it loads in Shotokan. How long did it take for you to get to Shodan? It took me just under 5 years to get mine.

it took me 4 years to get shodan then another 2 for nidan. are you a shodan yeh? it should take atleast 3 years because its atleast in my club it is 3months between grades up 2 3rd kyu, then 6 months between all brown belts and six months between 1st kye and 1st dan then the respective years continuing..

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! A shodan has proven he will stick it out long enough to really start getting into the "nuts" of his/her chosen style.

Outstanding post....Thanks :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

If you are speaking of me on foudning my system and giving myself a 5th dan that is not the case. Yes I did found my own system but no I didn't give myself a 5th dan I had that before I founded the system.

I have seen plenty of people do exactly what you are describing though. I know of one person who thinks they don't have to teach until they get to 8th dan and that training at home on their own will get them there. They are currently a 5th dan.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

This subject comes up too many times. Why does anyone care what another person or style perceives as a black belt. I train very hard and I train everyday of the week. I want to represent my instructer, myself, and my school in a manner that proves that I deserve black belt, but I would do so even if I didn't have a black belt around my waist. We have a lady in our school who has taken a long time to get where she is at. If someone came in off the street and saw her, they may say "She has a brown belt?" Her technique isn't the best, but she tries. She almost also died of breast cancer. She suffered months and into years of chemo, radiation, and drugs that have made her ill. She is still there and trying really hard. So if you "see" all kinds of schools handing out belts, keep in mind YOU do not know their situation. Be glad you have a black belt. If you feel you earned it and represent it well, then good for you. Most of the time, those that I hear brag about their rank, aren't really up to par after all.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I see rank at different MA schools much like degrees at various universities. They're really not all equal---not to offend anyone, but would you really say a Bachelor's from the University of Phoenix is the same as a Bachelor's from MIT? They both require roughly about the same period of time to achieve, but the standards/requirements and the quality of those students at each school are quite different. It's fair to say that it is much easier to graduate from U of Phoenix than from MIT just as it is much easier to get rank at McDojo Karate School than at a traditional Okinawan dojo that studies two systems.

There will always be those who abuse the authority that they possess and provide rank for less than honorable reasons. It's unfortunate that the general public doesn't know the difference--but this is the case with many things in life.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

It takes at least 3 yrs. to get to Shodan in Eugue Ryu Karate-Jutsu, and then 4 more years to get to Nidan, and you only get these belts when the Sensei believes you are ready.

As a 6th Kyu its hard for me to even imagine myself as a blackbelt. but when, and hopefully not if, I achive the grade I want to feel I have earned it. If I were to train solidly for 2 years, and then just be given the Shodan, id feel alittle cheated. Its would feel like running the a marathon, but catching a taxi the last 6 miles.

"Greet your friends with open arms, and your enemies with open hands"