• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Put the armor on today...

I called up a friend of mine, and we put on the armor, grabbed our rattan "swords" and metal shields, and went at it for a while.

We tried some single sword, and it was very difficult. Trying to parry the blows was very difficult, and almost didn't work. I was only using the sword in one hand, so the blows were moving my arm. Also had a tough time moving sideways. I also notice that my MA training causes me to get my off hand up in a guard postition, and I end up trying to block when the sword gets by my weapon. Not good.

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a lot of fun to do. You find out real quickly that it is just easier to get the heck outta the way than it is to actually block.

Thats a lot of fun to do. You find out real quickly that it is just easier to get the heck outta the way than it is to actually block.

No kidding!! The guy I was fighting with is a lefty, and I am right handed typically. I can do both, but my big shield is only right handed, so when I use it, I am limited. I got a smaller round shield that goes both ways.

Any how, my right shoulder has quite the bruising and scratches from Lefty hitting my weapon arm. Feels good though, I LIKE the pain!! :brow:

Also caught a nice stinger on the right forearm, too.

I love medieval styles, wish I had someone to train with.

I wish I had more friends that did it as well. I've got several who participate, but one of them is so set into the way the SCA (https://www.sca.org) does things, that he doesn't really express interest in trying other things. For instance, they don't quarterstaff fight, and I would love to do that. There is also the rules system that they have, which does not incorporate in-fighting with takedowns, disarms, and the like.

What I would love to be inovled with is the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (https://www.thearma.org). They have a wonderful curriculum, and focus on researching and rebuilding the old systems the way they were orginally taught. Another excellent web site is the Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts (https://www.aemma.org).

I found my chapter of the SCA a bit too political and a bit to boring. If I want to go camping, I'll go camping, if I want to fight, I'll fight. I don't wan't to worry about being a knight or some nobility or such. I'm sure not all chapters are like that, but mine was. The other links were interesting though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I found my chapter of the SCA a bit too political and a bit to boring. If I want to go camping, I'll go camping, if I want to fight, I'll fight. I don't wan't to worry about being a knight or some nobility or such. I'm sure not all chapters are like that, but mine was. The other links were interesting though.

I wish I was in a more populated area, where I could just go to the fighter practices 2 times a week.

I agree with you, I don't want to camp, but the competitions do interest me.

• 1 month later...
I called up a friend of mine, and we put on the armor, grabbed our rattan "swords" and metal shields, and went at it for a while.

We tried some single sword, and it was very difficult. Trying to parry the blows was very difficult, and almost didn't work. I was only using the sword in one hand, so the blows were moving my arm. Also had a tough time moving sideways. I also notice that my MA training causes me to get my off hand up in a guard postition, and I end up trying to block when the sword gets by my weapon. Not good.

Get a good Basket guard and punch block like crazy block the shot with your hand int the basket or close to the bottom of the blade. Thay way you take most of the blow and impact low.

Get a good Basket guard and punch block like crazy block the shot with your hand int the basket or close to the bottom of the blade. Thay way you take most of the blow and impact low.

Been working on that, and read some stuff on George Silver and his system doing it that way. Tried it, and it works better.

I got banged up today. Took some blows off the old fingers. My left ring finger is bruised up real good. But, I can type ok! :brow:

I was wearing a gauntlet, but I took it off because it affected the way I grip the handle, and it was wearing my hand out real bad. Next time, I'll just deal with my hand being tired!

Edited by bushido_man96