• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I currently study Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan and have no plans on quitting this MA. However, I really want to start training in Judo as I have a background in wrestling.

I respect my Shorin-Ryu Sensei and definitely don't want to disrespect him in any way. Since I have only been training Shorinkan for under two months, would it be disrespectful to tell my Sensei, that I will miss a couple nights per week to study Judo? I am a quick learner and have advanced faster than my peers in Karate. I hope that by studying a different art that my progression in Karate would not decline.

Please share your thoughts and insight on this with me. Thank you all...

Respectfully,

Buckeye

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

~Woody Hayes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not speaking for yours, but our sensei would likely prefer us to focus on our style until at least brown belt level before we take time for other styles. I can see the reason for this, but it also makes sense to be a more complete fighter, depending on your personal goals.

Since the two styles will be complimentary, I see no reason for you not to study both provided you can give each reasonable time and effort. Nothing is more frustrating to a sensei than having to take class time to continually re-train a student on materials that they aren't spending the proper time practicing.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sohan, thank you sir.

Just to clarify....if I do start Judo, I would have 3 classes of Karate and 2 classes of Judo per week. and then the weekend to practice both.

Thanks....

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

~Woody Hayes

If you've got nothing to hide, don't hide it. Always a good rule to remember.

I personally encourage my students to cross train, but, if a student suddenly was training less, and then I found out elsewhere that they were training somewhere else, that would annoy me because i would feel like they had tried to hide it from me. If on the other hand they were up front and explained that they are wanting to cross train, this would be fine.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

You should talk to your instructor and see what he thinks. If you ask me, 3 days of karate and 2 of judo a week sounds like a pretty good deal. Making 3 karate classes a week should keep you sharp on that end of the deal.

Hope things work out for you.

Incidentally, I KNOW for a fact that my instructor would not approve of this idea. Guess I am lucky not to be tempted with the idea.

You should talk to your instructor and see what he thinks. If you ask me, 3 days of karate and 2 of judo a week sounds like a pretty good deal. Making 3 karate classes a week should keep you sharp on that end of the deal.

Hope things work out for you.

Incidentally, I KNOW for a fact that my instructor would not approve of this idea. Guess I am lucky not to be tempted with the idea.

I know what you mean....there are guys that I train with that only show up a couple times per week, whereas I go 5 times a week now. So as long as the Judo classes are not mentally overexhaustive to my training I should be fine.

Can somebody who trains in Judo fill me in on what I should expect with only two nights of training per week? Is this enough, because I definitely want to be proficient in both. Thanks...

~Woody Hayes

I currently study Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan and have no plans on quitting this MA. However, I really want to start training in Judo as I have a background in wrestling.

I respect my Shorin-Ryu Sensei and definitely don't want to disrespect him in any way. Since I have only been training Shorinkan for under two months, would it be disrespectful to tell my Sensei, that I will miss a couple nights per week to study Judo? I am a quick learner and have advanced faster than my peers in Karate. I hope that by studying a different art that my progression in Karate would not decline.

Please share your thoughts and insight on this with me. Thank you all...

Respectfully,

Buckeye

I wrote down Judo, because a buddy I work with told me the Air Force Base (where I work) offered Judo two nights a week at the Community Center. I was soooo pumped up and after calling them to get the instructor's name for Judo, the person told me that it was in actuality Combat Hapkido....not Judo!!! :kaioken:

So Combat Hapkido is on Tue & Thur from 1700-1900. The price is $40 per month and that's it Doen't Combat Hapkido incorporate a ground game? Is this a MA that would conflict with my Shorin Ryu training?

Also, there is no other Judo classes within 25 miles of where I live.

Sorry for the confusion, so now what do you guys/gals think? LOL

~Woody Hayes

:o Looks like it does have a ground game! This could be fun! :karate:

~Woody Hayes