uniformity

daizyblackbelt

uniformity=  

21 members have voted

1. 1. uniformity=

• good
    • bad
    • who cares?

I'm curious to know what people think of uniformity in karate.

One can generally watch two shotokan practitioners (at the international level) from two opposite ends of the earth, do the same kata almost exactly the same way. I like this because it creates a certain bond between karatekas. But i also love to see different interpretations of the same kata.

When you see someone perform a kata, do you like to see it exactly how YOU expect it to be done, or would you prefere to see a different interpretation?

I'm not just talking about stylistic differences (e.g. the many different versions of kusanku (koskun sho/dai, kanku sho/dai, etc...)), but also differences between schools in the same style (different interpretations of the bunkai, which affects the performance).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I value uniformity alot, when I was an ex army cadet, The dicipline in everyone marching the same and in time and all that was brilliant, really gave you a sense of collective power.

I suppose this could apply to Kata as well, Though I agree with you seeing variations and twists to kata could be intresting too, adds to its art appeal and creates a sort of individuality, As long as it doesnt totally change from its intended teaching (obviously hehe)

I guess I have a different point of view. Each person, especially at high level, performs the kata with a different vision and interpretation. Even if it's the same kata and exact same moves... I don't know your level of expertise, but lower levels may not recognize the different interpretations when the same kata is performed by two different Karate-ka.

So every time I see someone perform a kata, like Tanaka, Nakayama, Oishi, Enoeda, Nishiyama, etc., I see a completely different interpretation of the same kata. I look forward to seeing each interpretatiion, each move, each visual of their performance.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

oooh, both good comments.

i really liked your post killer, it's exactly how i feel.

while i do appreciate the unifying factor of homogeneity in a martial art. I was at an international tournament in Las Vegas and saw a karateka from south africa perform Gojushiho and was impressed that it was move for move exactly the same kata i learned several years ago. (that was not the only example i noticed of this correspondance but it's the one that stuck with me).

That being said, i feel that those without the room for "poetic license" (not to deviate from the overall pattern TOO much, but to interpret them in new ways) miss out on much. I'm frequently asked by lower ranking black belts, "why do you do that move THAT way?! that's different from what i was taught."

the answer? i learned the bunkai, or in some cases was told to create them myself in order to create my OWN understanding of the kata.

anways, i think that's it...

I think the uniformity you speak of is good to a certain degree. It sets a standard upon which people can base expectations; and set goals to reach and maintain those expectations. That consistency is important.

However, as Killer Miller hit upon, that's not where it ends. It's important that an expert, someone who has determined his/her way of using the techniques and is very well in tune with his body, begin to move away from that uniformity when it comes to practicing for his/her own personal understanding of the kata. Try replacing a front stance with a back stance, a lunge punch with a palm heel, a forward step with a front thrust kick and so on. This will help give you a deep rooted understanding of the bunkai and what works for you and what does not.

So I guess my answer is that uniformity is important for things like training at the lower levels, staying consistent, and training in large groups. But a shift away from the standard at the advanced levels will give you insight and understanding into why and how to perform karate.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Uniformity within ones own style is good. When people try to put their own spin on bunkai and change kata with new techniques it dilutes tradition.

I guess I have a different point of view. Each person, especially at high level, performs the kata with a different vision and interpretation.

So every time I see someone perform a kata, like Tanaka, Nakayama, Oishi, Enoeda, Nishiyama, etc., I see a completely different interpretation of the same kata. I look forward to seeing each interpretatiion, each move, each visual of their performance.

- Killer -

Hey KM,

I agree, and I'd like to add that many of the old greats perform their kata very differently over the years. When you get older, train longer and get more depth and knowledge of your art it is a natural progression for you to evolve and make it your own. Hey, my Heian(Pinan) Kata are very different than they were just five years ago. I can't wait to find out what they look like in 20 yrs. :)

All in all it still has to be the same kata. Without roots and tradition the style and essence of the art may become diluted and eventually die or become a mere shell of its former self. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

If everything is always done exactly the same, there's no room for discovery and improvement. That being said, I feel things within a system should be at least somewhat similar.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think uniformity to a certain extent is a good thing. Especially in ones own school. If everything is uniformed then everyone knows what is expected of them at each level of progression.

At a higher level when one has begun to understand the deeper meanings of a particular kata and their kihon waza have become a part of them, then I think there would be room for making adjustments of intepretation and allowing this to show in the kata.

I mean this in terms of the timing, rhythmn and speed of the kata, not the techniques used. After all, if you start changing the techniques, you may as well just make up your own kata. All kata have numerous bunkai for each movement so of course where one person my see it one way, another may see it completely different. This can and should be expected of practioners who are different shapes to one an another. For example, someone who is short and stocky would most likely have a totally different intepretation from someone who is very tall and long-limbed.

I see this a lot in my Iaido class. My sensei says to perform a kata to your body movements and not to try to imitate the way someone does a kata who is a totally different shape to you.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Uniformity would be nice but even the masters did not hand down uniform kata. Kata learned from Itosu, for example, by his students who later became masters are done differently. Sometimes it was done because of physical limitations sometimes it was changed because of misunderstanding and loss through the years (forgetfullness) and sometimes because they felt "it would be better to it this way."

Uniformity is fine but the variety in kata is what makes us all just a little bit different from each other while the general idea of the kata itself makes us alike. :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt