• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a training buddy/advice

Yasutsune Makoto

Are there any students (preferably advanced) in the Akron,Oh area?

I am going to be there for the summer (home from college) and my only options for training with someone other than myself are driving an hour once a week (not very consistent training), or going to the local McDojo. So, if anyone has had to train extended periods by oneself do you have any tips or drills? Or if you live around there and know of a good dojo, preferably shotokan, let me know. Or, lol, if you wouldn't mind trying to get together and training...

I already train kata, kihon, makiwara every day anyway, but there is just something nice about having other people around to train with. Let's you train a much broader range of applications, etc... thanks a lot

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Even the local McDojo may be better than nothing. It will give you a chance to train and work out with other people. It may even surprise you and be not as "McDojo-ish" as you first thought. Why do you consider it to be a McDojo? Is it because of the price? High prices do not necessarily = bad teaching.

As I always tell my white belt students you can learn something from everyone. Even a white belt can teach another whitebelt, so you may learn more from the McDojo than you expect to.

Good luck with the training. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Heck, I drive two hours to work everyday. What's one hours for good training???

I use to drive 1.5 hours to Central for training. Well worth the drive!

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I call it an McDojo because I have trained there before, the brown belts can't teach the white belt kata (most of them any way). Your point about going is better than not is well-recieved.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

Makoto Jim, I personally would not train in an Isshin ryu school just because I need a place to practice. It is not the same as shotokan. Train on your own in your back yard or in a gym. You will be fine until you go back to training in the fall. I believe if you have hang ups about McDojo's, you should not train in another individuals school. All you would do is compare yourself to them. It isn't healthy training when you talk badly about other MA and other Martial Artist.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Makoto Jim, I personally would not train in an Isshin ryu school just because I need a place to practice. It is not the same as shotokan. Train on your own in your back yard or in a gym. You will be fine until you go back to training in the fall. I believe if you have hang ups about McDojo's, you should not train in another individuals school. All you would do is compare yourself to them. It isn't healthy training when you talk badly about other MA and other Martial Artist.

I don't see anything wrong with training in another dojo for a while !

I woulden't just walk in to any dojo and train ,rather I would sit and watch the class and the instructer for a couple of nights and then decide if it is suitable for me to train there .

I have always trained in shotokan but if the opportunity present itself I would realy like to give it a try ! but obviously going to a new club no matter what we think of their standards we must not forget to show courtesy and respect to the dojo and it's members .

never give up !