• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Memory

Samuel

Practice, practice, practice.

I know about 22 different forms, and it just comes with practice. And once you learn them, and go to the next rank, keep practicing them.

One of the biggest problems we have in our school is getting the kids to keep reviewing all of their old material that way when they test for black, they don't have to spend a lot of time cramming to remember old stuff.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yep. It really is all about the reps.

I know a young woman who knows over 90 kata. That's a lot of reps...:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Hi,

Practising in your head helps too - it's not as silly as it sounds. Relax and imagine doing the kata. Repetition of this type is also beneficial - not as much as the real thing, but you can do it on the bus, during a boring lecture, or while you're kissing someone you don't really like anymore :brow:

i believe musicians also use this kind of visualisation to supplement actual rehearsal

Happy day dreaming :)

Tim

When I had trouble with Hein Sandan, I would go to bed, and would picture myself doing the actual Kata one step at a time, and then in the morning, go trough it...

Also, practice does make perfect, if you can get spare time, keep on practicing... ;)

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Thanks for all the replys, I learnt Kihon gata in the space of 10min and pretty much got it nailed. Going over it in my head helps me remember it too.

It'll be fun if i get Pinan nidan mixed up with it because they are so similar :lol: I can just see myself doing that.

• 1 month later...

To me it really is kind of like singing and acting...in a bizarre way, of course. You just do it so much that even years later you could do it.

When I was a fifth grader, we sang Phantom of the Opera....when I was entering freshman year, I heard the song on some site, and I could still sing the words. My mouth knew what was supposed to come out, even if my mind was saying, "What the heck are you singing? Where do you even KNOW this from?"

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

It's a bit like a chef. He knows so many different dishes. He doesn't think about them, he just knows them. With time, your Kata will work the same for you. You won't think about the Kata, you will just do them.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

write down your forms and keep practicing untill it gets ingraved in to your brain :D :D :D

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido