• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also new here. I trained for a while but just got back in to Martial Arts after a 6 year Hiatus.

Started Hapkido since I trained in it informaly for while in the old days. I have been back for about 4 months now. Comes back quickly though. I got all the falls down including high throws. Back to feeling comfortable executing Pucha goki and Tai Goki off of punches. Love the stuff.

I practice Hapkido here in Connecticut. Training in Korea is different in different dojangs. It's very much like here in the States. One guy emphasizes big falls, another on high kicking and another on balance breaking, etc. Where I train in Korea, we focus more on balance breaking and being able to drop a stronger, resistant person, which is great on a person who may not know how to fall. Don't get me wrong, we all need to know how to breakfall and all, but the focus is not on the airfalls. I love it there. They train us hard, but treat us well.

If anyone is around Daegu, stop into the Jung Ki Kwan. GM Lim is a great guy and very welcoming to anyone who has a humble attitude and a sincere yearning to learn the principles of Hapkido.

Take care :)

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

cool forums just found you guys after googling. I am currently in Hapkido and earned my 1st Dan last month. I love it.

The best index to a person’s character is:

(a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and

(b) how he treats people who can’t fight back

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to start picking up Combat Hapkido here again shortly. I have learned a lot of the curicculum, but I want to start working on more applications.

Congrats!

thank you.

The best index to a person’s character is:

(a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and

(b) how he treats people who can’t fight back

Haven't posted in awhile so just thought I would say something on this because it is an interesting art. To Niel I am currently training in hkd and tkd at one of the traditional dojangs in the sw tc...been doing that for over a year now and its going pretty well all things considered...still a first dan though and have yet to test in at this new school.

As to the break falls thing, they can be somewhat misleading. Those are more to protect yourself than anything else. In a real fight the person will just go down, or their limb will break. That is the whole point of the thing. Alot of the demos you see are meant to look flashy, and they pick people that are able to throw themselves through the air to make it look good. I guess what I'm trying to say is knowing how to fall is beneficial to you because you might fall down or get tackled. It's highly unlikely however you will get thrown, like you do in class, in a real fight.

Long Live the Fighters!

As to the break falls thing, they can be somewhat misleading. Those are more to protect yourself than anything else. In a real fight the person will just go down, or their limb will break. That is the whole point of the thing. Alot of the demos you see are meant to look flashy, and they pick people that are able to throw themselves through the air to make it look good. I guess what I'm trying to say is knowing how to fall is beneficial to you because you might fall down or get tackled. It's highly unlikely however you will get thrown, like you do in class, in a real fight.

To follow up on the break falls, it's also beneficial to know them so when working with a partner, you are able to take the fall and not break anything.