• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's the difference between jiu-jitsu and judo?

I don't study either, but I have several books on BJJ, one on small circle jiu-jitsu, and one on Kodokan Judo. What are the major differences in judo and jiu-jutsu? Is it throwing, locking, philosophies? I don't notice a lot of choking in judo, and I know it is more often than not trained as an Olympic sport.

If you could please help me through my dilema, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo's emphasis since its start was to create a more efficient fighting system, create something that all people could participate in, and eventually suceed as an Olympic Sport. Heavy emphasis is on active sparring with the intent of getting a perfect throw (which wins the match).

Ju Jitsu such as small circle and other japanese ju jitsu systems focus heavily on deadly techniques (biting, eye gouging, throwing your opponent on their head) and small joint manipulation (fingers, wrists). Due to the damaging extent of these techniques they can not be applied during sparring on resisting opponents, therefore active sparring is not emphasized in these styles. There are many types of "Jitsu" in the japanese sense (there is "throwing" jitsu, "Joint locking" jitsu, "sword drawing" jitsu, etc). All of these combine to be what the samurai of old trained in for battlefield confrontations.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was made as a pure modern day fighting system. It incorporates the throwing techniques of Judo, the submissions of Ju jitsu, and recently, the takedowns of wrestling and leg locks of Sambo/Catch Wrestling. Heavy emphasis is placed on live sparring in this style of jiu jitsu, and the area of emphasis is the ground aspect of the fight. This style of jiu jitsu had great success because it took advantage of the fact that virtually every other fighting system heavily neglected the ground aspect of a fight.

So, to sum things up:

The old ju jitsu involves many wristlocks and small joint manipulation. Because of their lack of active training/sparring, they lack the speciality skills that Judokas and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters have. Many of the wristlocks and small joint manipulation have applications as ways to de escatalate scenarios where a fight is immenent, but not yet happened. (i.e. defense against intimidating holds that are popular precursors to fights)

Judo is a fun sport and extremely effective martial art with heavy emphasis on the clinch aspect of a fight (i.e. throwing an opponent to the ground). There is some groundwork, but its not emphasized.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is also a fun sport and extremely effective martial art style. The emphasis is on the ground aspect of the fight where the fight can be finished. There is some standup throws, but they are not emphasized. Often times, these jiu jitsu fighters will compliment their ground skills by cross training in Judo to gain the throwing skills needed to take the fight to the ground (and vice versa for Judokas).

Well said Jersey Devil. Dr. Kano created Kodokan Judo in 1882 from Jujitsu. He wanted to create a style that you could practice at full force with less injury and be effective in self-defense. The philosophy behide Judo throws is maximum efficiency with minimun effort.

However in a Judo tournament Leg locks, or submissions by pressure point aren't allowed.

We Practice for Thousands of Days,

Whether We Win or Lose is Decided in an Instant

Thanks for the explanation. I thought that the object in judo was to get the opponent to the ground, and then work a pin move on an arm or leg. Is this correct?

Personally, I have always wanted to learn judo, for the throws. It looks like a good time to me.

It is. There is 67 throws in Kodokan Judo. To win a match in a Judo tournament you must score a Ippon or point in english. If your throw was off or they land on their side you may get a half point. You can also score points on the ground by like what techniques you use. The other way to win a Judo tournament besides ippon is making them sub on the ground. Which is scored as a Ippon.

The refs don't give you long on the ground and work for position like in a bjj tournament. If you don't have anything or aren't working on a hold with in 5 to 8 secs after being on the ground they stand you back up, and you throw again.

In Judo you can use pins, arms bars and chokes. You aren't allowed to use leg locks.

Judo by far is my favorite style.

We Practice for Thousands of Days,

Whether We Win or Lose is Decided in an Instant

The number 1 place to get more information on Judo is at the following website.

https://www.judoinfo.com

It's the most comprehensive website dedicated to a martial art I have ever seen.

As far a BJJ. If you read the book put out by Royler and Renzo, it tells you about everything you need to know.

The major difference is that BJJ deals primarily with what you do on the ground as well as getting to the ground without being injured.

Judo deals mostly with putting the attacker onto the ground. They have some ground stuff. But generally speaking, they are not as skilled on the ground as BJJ. There have been exceptions.

They are both extremely effective methods of self defense!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I would like to add that the reason some positions such as guard (BJJ did not create or revolutionize the guard, that's a myth (spider and butterfly are different stories IIRC) are neglected in Olympic judo because if your opponent passes it counts as an ippon, to them it's much better to wind up on your side than to pull guard on an opponent. Now, in newaza (ground) work they do use the guard extensively, and at a mastery level BJJ and judo are very close in resemblance (watch Yoshida and Royce's fights for an example of how the style's compare, in fact, just watch Yoshida's fights, he's quite the judoka)

That's interesting...I didn't realize that Olympic Judo had rules extablished for passing the guard. So...if I pull guard, and it gets passed, I lose the match! Does Judo have anything established for the half guard. Obviously, if it get's passed, it's an ippon. Are sweeps from the ground scored? Thanks.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Judo has sweeps from the ground, but the thing is the way competition judo is scored, you never see them used, the ground work can only last a few seconds, 5-10 usually, unless you obviously have some sort of lock on your opponent. Half-guard is something that may be practiced depending on the school, but once again, it's considered a 'weak' position and one that lends itself to your opponent's pinning you.

A slight clarification on what I wrote in my last reply, if your opponent passes your guard and your shoulders are on the matt it counts as an ippon :P I really gotta start proof-reading what I write. From my guard it's very easy, if my opponent is explosive, to get away from my legs and pin my shoulders to the matt, if I fall on my side however, he gets half a point and I get the chance to score on him when we're stood back up.

Now I'm aware of a file on Yahoo! video, or the like, where the Gracies are at a judo school that's working ne-waza, and many, many of the judo-ists are using their guard extensively. The video is from 1988 IIRC, a time when no-one in the states knew who the gracies were, and as such, the guard shouldn't have existed in this country :wink: . (just try searching for 'Gracies challenge judo school' it should pop right up.)

That is intersting that Judo has so much, but limits itself so much because of competition. Andrew_Patton, do you still work the other stuff in your classes, or just the point stuff?