• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

traditional Muai thai forms

P.A.L

i was watching this movie "Ong Bak" and notice the main character is doing a form at the early parts of the movie, could any one give us more info on these forms and what the call them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

from what i have read in a martial arts magazine, not sure if it was black belt or not, but the forms were made up for the movie, they had been working on the techniques and everything in that movie for over a year, many of the things have nothing to do with muay thai as an art, but have been specifically practiced and placed to help spread publicity to the art form by getting people interested.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Ong Bak is good film, slightly different from the norm and yet covers much of the same areas as many other MA films out there so you get the familiarity mixed with the newness (is that a word? lol!) of what you've not seen before.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

As I recall, in the special features of the film, the form he is doing is actually the demo he did during his audition for the role.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

in the older muay, there were forms. Most of the older muay are no longer in existence. they were abandoned for muay thai, as muay thai embodies what has been most effective in the ring. A lot of the techniques in ong bak actually are techniques from muay lon lon, muay chaiya, etc. however due to impracticality, they were removed from muay thai.

that is actually villalobos' site, it I remember correctly.

I think the only thing that's really sketchy is the origin of thai arts. thailand, burma and cambodia all claim they are the founders, and if you look at arts like bando, it is VERY similar to muay thai.

Keep in mind though, that the history of Muay Thai is somewhat cloudy and a lot of things should be taken with a grain of salt.

Huh, sounds like the history of most martial arts. :-/

Anyway, thanks for the link - it's an interesting site.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Keep in mind though, that the history of Muay Thai is somewhat cloudy and a lot of things should be taken with a grain of salt.

Huh, sounds like the history of most martial arts. :-/

Anyway, thanks for the link - it's an interesting site.

nah, not really, but almost. some styles have just been naturally convoluted over time. There is still written history of them though. much of the thai history was lost in a fire - similar to that of the shaolin temple, I suppose (but the fires were due to different reasons) resulting in the loss of written records of the thai arts, their origins, etc. Consequently, not much is really known now, other than what has been preserved over the years and taught.