• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Royce vs. Hughes Post-Fight Feelings

I would like to see a tournament format back for the UFC again. It was great then. The weight classes are ok, but they could go, too.

When the UFC started, it was a fight, it seemed. Now, it has a few rules that make it more sport than fight. It is very close to fighting, but bring back groin kicks and head butts, and let them go.

Just a note, I think that the Gracie familiy now realizes how the UFC has evolved, and they should respect that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

The UFC fighters are better than they ever were, plus the sport is getting more and more mainstream acceptance. It should stay the course (except for a few of Dana's decisions...)

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Todays fighters may be better but back in the day it took a toughness to be able enter an 8 man tourniment with almost no rules. They could not handle it today, they would have to train for distance not all out sprinting.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Today's fighter are 100000000000000000x tougher the the early UFC fighters. Every time old "legends" are pitted against half-decent modern fighters, the legends lose miserably. I have all the respect in the world for the pioneers of MMA, but the fighters today are better than ever.

By the way, the UFC was always a sport. Never a fight. Think the original UFC only had 2 rules (biting and gouging)?

What about:

-No multiple opponents

-No weapons

-No concrete

-No broken glass or pebbles or debris

-Nothing to improvise into a weapon

-The referees

-The MD's

...I could go on. The UFC does a good job of simulating a real fight, and there are a host of great lessons to be learned from it. Nevertheless, it is and was never a real fight.

Additionally, it is totally immaterial whether it was more of a fight then or now because the fighters now would destroy the old fighters under any rule set. Adding a few additional rules hasn't undermined the qualities that make a good fighter.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Today's fighter are 100000000000000000x tougher the the early UFC fighters. Every time old "legends" are pitted against half-decent modern fighters, the legends lose miserably. I have all the respect in the world for the pioneers of MMA, but the fighters today are better than ever.

By the way, the UFC was always a sport. Never a fight. Think the original UFC only had 2 rules (biting and gouging)?

What about:

-No multiple opponents

-No weapons

-No concrete

-The referees

-The MD's

...I could go on. The UFC does a good job of simulating a real fight, and there are a host of great lessons to be learned from it. Nevertheless, it is and was never a real fight.

Additionally, it is totally immaterial whether it was more of a fight then or now because the fighters now would destroy the old fighters under any rule set. Adding a few additional rules hasn't undermined the qualities that make a good fighter.

Go step into the ring for full contact professional MMA and then tell me its not a fight....

As to whether or not todays fighters can fight in the 8 man tournaments popular in UFC's of old, it depends on who they've got to fight.

For example, todays MMA fighters are so much more skilled and well rounded than those of 10 years ago, as a result, fights are much more taxing on the fighters. There still are 16 man tournaments in MMA (Pride has them) but fighters require time off in between fights because their opponents are so much tougher and more skilled.

Put one of todays MMA fighters in the 8 man of 10-15 years ago, and he'd still mop the floor with those fighters.

What about:

-No multiple opponents

-No weapons

-No concrete

-The referees

-The MD's

Go step into the ring for full contact professional MMA and then tell me its not a fight....

As to whether or not todays fighters can fight in the 8 man tournaments popular in UFC's of old, it depends on who they've got to fight.

For example, todays MMA fighters are so much more skilled and well rounded than those of 10 years ago, as a result, fights are much more taxing on the fighters. There still are 16 man tournaments in MMA (Pride has them) but fighters require time off in between fights because their opponents are so much tougher and more skilled.

Put one of todays MMA fighters in the 8 man of 10-15 years ago, and he'd still mop the floor with those fighters.

I agree entirely on your last 3 points.

BTW, NFL football or even basketball is not a fight but I wouldn't go there either. I'm not saying these guys couldn't kick my butt. I just saying that the UFC is still a sport. Don't get me wrong, the UFC is "as real as it gets" and there are tons of valuable lessons to be learned from it.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

You are right, UseoForce, they are good fighters. I am not saying they are not. And the UFC is the closest thing to real fighting. I don't think that the format that they fight today has anything really to do with the toughness of the fighters, but more with the mainstreaming of the sport in order to make more money.

I am also not saying that the first couple of UFC did not have rules; it was just a different game. These guys today could fight tournament style, but they want to get paid for each match, bottom line. I think Royce made half-million, just for showing up, didn't he?

I am not bad-mouthing UFC, I just liked it better before. I still love it. Most of the MMA venues are enjoyable to watch. And they are all great athletes.

Sanches ( todays fighter ) vs. Tank ( fighter from back then )

Not quite a fair comparison. Despite his many flaws, Abbott would destroy Diego by virtue of his strength and size. Sanchez is vastly overrated as a fighter, anyway--he wouldn't last 3 minutes against Matt Hughes or Rich Franklin.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu