• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Striking Application

cross

The boxing/sparring stance is going to be the one that every style goes to in a one-on-one match.

I see the basics as being used against an unskilled attacker as a very strong finishing blow.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We do a mix, actually. Both from fighting position and from the hip.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We do everything from underneath the armpit, by the ribs. We don't do a lot of varying, because I think our instructor doesn't want us to have bad habits for testing purposes.

Personally, I would like to practice our one-steps from an on-guard, hands up position from time to time, shortening things up and using no stances.

bushido_man96 wrote:

In my classes, we don't really get to do any "bunkai" applications of forms. We do our onesteps, but I question their capabilities at times.

I like the sound of the bunkai training that you guys do, and I would like to try it myself.

Wow!! Kata without bunkai is just dance. One steps are important, but they are not everything. The heart of Karate exists in the Kata. Is it that you haven't trained for a long time? Or does the bunkai just not get covered in class. Perhaps you could get with your instructor to arrange learning the bunkai.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

bushido_man96 wrote:

In my classes, we don't really get to do any "bunkai" applications of forms. We do our onesteps, but I question their capabilities at times.

I like the sound of the bunkai training that you guys do, and I would like to try it myself.

Wow!! Kata without bunkai is just dance. One steps are important, but they are not everything. The heart of Karate exists in the Kata. Is it that you haven't trained for a long time? Or does the bunkai just not get covered in class. Perhaps you could get with your instructor to arrange learning the bunkai.

I know, it makes me mad that I am missing out. Maybe TKD guys just don't do bunkai. Sometimes I think our instructor is so dialed in to keeping our basics down, and being prepared for testing, that we miss out on other stuff. Don't get me wrong, he is a great instructor, and is very technical, but he just doesn't vary much from the basic class.

I have been training for 13 years, so it isn't that. I guess the nice thing is that if I ever start my own school, I know what I would like to incorporate into it, and how I would set up my classes.

At your school how does the application of your striking techniques differ from the kihon?

Is this how all karateka do it? i feel that sometimes im missing out on something by not applying the techniques from a different position.

The biggest difference for us is the amount of chamber. In basic, the chamber is crucial (on the floating ribs, elbow straight back) while in free form the technique is thrown from wherever the hand is. I think the most important difference is the elimination of unnecessary motion from your attack while acheiving full power. However you accomplish this is good enough.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo