• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Striking Application

cross

At your school how does the application of your striking techniques differ from the kihon?

We all know the kihon starts with one hand on your hip and has you do the technique your other hand draws back to the hip.

In application we start with our hands in the boxing position(both hands near chin height), and we execute the techniques from there while the other hand stays up protecting the chin...

Is this how all karateka do it? i feel that sometimes im missing out on something by not applying the techniques from a different position.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in our school ,the sensei doesn't let any hands on the hip, both hands up all the time, among ourself we even change the standard yakusukus in a way that both hands stay high. when we go to other schools as guest we throw the punch from hip , but in general any previously block/punch karateka comes to our dojo needs to adapat in two things

1- both hands up all the times during applications and sparring

2- back foot and knee pointing a little bit forward instead of 90 degree angel like kekutsu dachi.

Yes, remember that Kata is designed to be very broad spectrum. A punching movement is not always a punch when it comes to Bunkai. The Hikite (retracting motion to the hip) often refers to grabbing and pulling things such as arms and legs. This allows you to strike your opponent while pulling them in. But in an engagement of course you want your hands up for protection. The stance that PAL describes sounds pretty exact to what I use.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

At your school how does the application of your striking techniques differ from the kihon?

We all know the kihon starts with one hand on your hip and has you do the technique your other hand draws back to the hip.

In application we start with our hands in the boxing position(both hands near chin height), and we execute the techniques from there while the other hand stays up protecting the chin...

Is this how all karateka do it? i feel that sometimes im missing out on something by not applying the techniques from a different position.

What is the style of karate that you practice? And is your sparring contact or none-contact?

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

In my classes, we don't really get to do any "bunkai" applications of forms. We do our onesteps, but I question their capabilities at times.

I like the sound of the bunkai training that you guys do, and I would like to try it myself.

It depends on what tsuki you're using. Sometimes starting from the hip, sometimes from the guard.

In kizami tsuki, uraken and fura uchi I strike straight from the guard. Pulling the hand up or back to prepare justs wastes valuable time. I think when I do the first two the hikite comes back to my hip and the fura uchi I leave the hand covering my body.

But when I use gyaku or oitsuki I'm comfortable pulling the hand back to my hip or up to the side of my face as a block/guard.

Generally for a guard position I have the rear hand across the body and the lead hand out and slightly bent. Pending on whom I'm sparring with and if it's jiyu kumite or point sparring I have both hands in close or further out.

I think it all depends on the body position and where your target is from there really. If you need to change the angle or circle the punch slightly to get a scoring technique in then you should. But you need a solid foundation of kihon waza to be able to vary off from them and to adapt to the situation.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate