• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A little research.

Yasutsune Makoto

Not getting to be on the forum in awhile, I just happened across this thread. I would like to add something about my training. I have trained in Shotokan for years. No our dojo is not affiliated with JKA. We absolutely do not train at anytime to compete. If a student wishes to compete, it is his or her own choice to go. The dojo or the instructor does not hold competition classes for the whole dojo so that one or two can compete. Most of those (including myself) who have gone to competitions, were greatly disappointed in the "sport". Most of the weapons kata, hand kata, and self defense were flashy and ineffective. People were scoring points in kumite by just touching the top of the head gear. Needless to say, it took only a couple of tournaments to realize that our training at our Shotokan school was not comparable to what was being represented at the competitions. Maybe that is why our instructor doesn't teach or promote tournament style practices and only focuses on what has been handed down to him by his instructors and theirs before them.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you affiliated with any organization? I am interested in training in a similar fashion and do so on my own but it would be nice to be in an organization with the same mentality. I like the JKA and they have a lot of good things about them, but...well ya.

**utilizing remaining mind is very powerful and it is an amazing aspect of karate, I agree**

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I train at The Ohio State University, midwest region of the U.S.

How about yourself?

Prince Edward Island, Canada. Under Master Woon-A-Tai

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We are not affiliated with any organization. Our lineage goes back quite a long ways off the JKA tree. Until reading others views in the recent past about Shotokan being a "sport", I always thought most Shotokan school were run like ours. Definitely not a sport MA at our school at all. Thank goodness!!

Definitely not a sport MA at our school at all. Thank goodness!!

Here here!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Makoto Jin wrote:

Are you affiliated with any organization? I am interested in training in a similar fashion and do so on my own but it would be nice to be in an organization with the same mentality. I like the JKA and they have a lot of good things about them, but...well ya.

**utilizing remaining mind is very powerful and it is an amazing aspect of karate, I agree**

Currently I am not in an affiliation. I used to be associated with the Kwanmukan. However, with the passing of my Sensei, I am not sure that orginization is for me. I am currently training in a Brazilian Jiujitsu academy and am searching for a new Sensei or an affiliation that I feel has alot to offer.

I agree with what you say about remianing mind...but remember that it is just one component of Zanshin. It includes remaining mind, extention of ki, complete and utter cutting down, and impenetratable posture. It is the underlying component of Karate's techniques. But that is for another discussion.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with what you say about remianing mind...but remember that it is just one component of Zanshin. It includes remaining mind, extention of ki, complete and utter cutting down, and impenetratable posture. It is the underlying component of Karate's techniques.

You knew what I meant, lol.

Definitely not a sport MA at our school at all. Thank goodness!!

I'm glad to find that there are a good number of us shotokan here that agree with you, if not at our schools than in our own training.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I am very proud to be affiliated with the instructor that I have. He is great at what he does and encourages greatness from all his students. I am even more proud now knowing that their our school is not falling along the lines of other "traditional" shotokan schools and teaching competition karate.

That's excellent to hear jaymac. When the time comes...pass on that legacy.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I am only a nidan. I feel there is so much more to learn and maybe one day will decide to teach on my own, but for now, I believe running a school with only a nidan rank is too early and not beneficial to other students. I plan on sticking with my instructors school for years to come.