• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Team Kata

cathal

I really enjoy doing team kata. Depending on how seriously you take it you can use some of these guidelines for a team:

• 1) Make sure all 3 of you are about the same height and build, as this will make your techniques will look more symmetrical and easier to time together. (I had a team where two of us were short and stocky and the 3rd guy was really tall and lanky. It looked a little odd performing together and made it harder to time our techniques together)

• 2) Remember the 6 P's. Persistant Practice Prevents Pitifully Poor Performance! Get together as often as you can to practice. Work on getting your timing together, this is one of the most important things with team kata. It's good to practise a set of moves at a time so you can make sure you're all timed right throughout

• 3) The lead person is whoever cannot see the other 2 during the kata. In katas that have lots of turns the lead person will change several times. Know who it is going to be and when.

• 4) Choose a kata that looks impressive/complex and has some big moves in it. When you do it well as a team it will look amazing. My preferences are Empi, Kanku Dai, Nijushiho, Unsu, Gojushiho Sho, Gankaku, Seipai, Kurarunfa, Seisan, and Suparinpei

Hope that helps

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for the advice RichardGregory.

Sorry guys I'm 6'1''

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Oh, thanks for asking :)

My team placed 5th.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hey who wants to be on my team lol

I'll be on it - I love doing team kata! :D

I've been a part of a Karate Kata team for ages now, ever since I was a low kyu grade. Our current adults team is myself (black belt)and 2 other women (brown belt & purple belt), although we've had mixed sex teams before. We usually do Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai or Heian Godan.

I'm also one half of a pairs kata team with a purple belt lady. Our usualy choice for pairs kata is Heian Nidan, Heian Godan or Bassai Dai. We do the pairs kata performances as "mirror image".

My TKD instructor is thinking of setting up a Patterns Team - he's asked me if I'll be a part of that too.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!