• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Team Kata

cathal

I'm headed to a tournament this weekend, and this time there is an option to compete in team kata. Have any of you ever competed like this before? What challenges presented themselves?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never trained in it. But it is extremely interesting to watch. I would watch first. There are many variations of this division. In most, you and team mates (the number varies in different competitions) perform the same kata simultaneously. You are expected to look exactly the same at all times. That goes for stance depth, movements, balance, focus ect... In others I have seen mirror images done of the Kata. Others yet simply coordinate their kata so it looks as though they are fighting each other. Check it out.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

i've experienced it before. first of all, hav ur team meet at a certain time so u all can practice. time it right. like 1 - (hold position 4 one count) 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - etc. on the last move, hold ur stance for 3 seconds. the person who is leading should b responsible for ending. bowing in and out of the ring. the teamates key off. tell ur teamates NOT to look at a teamate. the person looking will hav a result of point deduction. looking forward at all times and use ur periferal view. use the person in front of u 2 lead and same with others. when two teamates c u or a teamate, that person is leading for the next move. same with others. practice on that.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

I've done it, it's easy and hard at the same time. It's easy because all the things that apply to normal kata competition apply in team kata. It's hard because everyone needs to be in sync, so it requires getting together and practicing on your own. I'm in AAU, so I don't know if grading is the same, but there's three judges and on top of all the criteria for kata; Spirit, form, ballance, vigorous application, and effectiveness, you're also judged on syncronization, timing, and apperance. It's points based, so you only compete once. It's lots of fun if you prepare in advance with your team and get a rythm going. We trained by giving one counts between normal moves and three counts after kiais and the last move before close.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

That is some good advice, thanks. :)

- Sun-tzu

For timing for some things, like bowing in etc, it can be good to have a lead person kiah. Kind of like they are saying "bow" or "step back" etc. It might seem odd, but most good teams do this, it keeps them together without having to look at eachother.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

We went over the procedure today. It's very ordered. :)

- Sun-tzu

I have competed in team/synchronised kata tonnes of times. It can be quite fun, but at the same time it can be stressful, especially if you are with people who aren't the same standard as yourself, higher or lower. You must work as a team, learn how to compromise. Hrm....sounds like my marriage.

As previously mentioned by another poster, the team should be all looking in the same directions, not looking at each other during the kata.

Also, the way the team is set is also important. It is better for form that you are all the same height, but if that isn't the case, the the tallest in front, the shortest at the back. Or the other way around depending on the majority.

In the WKF, the team must perform their kata, and then move onto bunkai. I don't know if you are in the WKF or not though.

Just as a side note, have any of you seen the bunkai they use in WKF world championships? It is totally unrealistic and looks more like movie fighting than applications of kata.

We have a great cadet team kata. They are 2 lads and a girl, all brown belts. Fantastic to watch - the kids seem to synchronize easier than the adults.

The last tournament I went to in February the adult team kata was good to watch but when you watched them compete individually you soon see that the stronger competitors have to tone down a bit in the team event, otherwise they would have easily outshone the others.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

We have a great cadet team kata. They are 2 lads and a girl, all brown belts. Fantastic to watch - the kids seem to synchronize easier than the adults.

The last tournament I went to in February the adult team kata was good to watch but when you watched them compete individually you soon see that the stronger competitors have to tone down a bit in the team event, otherwise they would have easily outshone the others.

Karate Ni Sentinashi