• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Kempo Karate, Chinese Kempo Karate, or both?

Protagonist

Greetings,

I have a quick question that I would like answered as soon as possible; I may be taking a karate class over the summer, but the thing is, I took an entirely different type of karate (that I just found out was Shorin Kempo Karate) in the second semester of my school year. The type of karate I might be taking over the summer is Chinese Kempo Karate, and I'm just wondering if there is a great difference in style. I don't really want to have to start from a white belt rank again (I had just recently been promoted to orange belt), and have to learn the basics, again, and have this style of karate negatively interfere with the karate I took at school and will be taking next year since, as stated before, it is Shorin Kempo Karate.

So, is it okay for me to take Chinese Kempo Karate, or will it be better just to stick with Shorin Kempo Karate?

-Protagonist

Also, I'm wondering if I should either take Shorin Kempo Karate at my school for two semesters for about $200 a semester, and just teach myself during my own time at home, or take the summer class as I had described for about $40-$55, and take Shorin Kempo Karate for only one semester at my school. My parents are really tight on money, and they'd prefer if I took only one semester of karate, but they gave me two options that are really nagging me.

NOTE: Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I'm still a newbie. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shorin kempo should be Okinawan kempo which has some of the shorin-ryu katas in the system, chinese kempo is something different, in long run, shorin kemo takes you toward karate, and chinese kempo will take you toward wushu.

by Wushu i meant chinese boxing but i didn't wanna use a specific style so i used the general name , Wushu which means "martial art" in Chinese.

If the chinese kempo school is a branch of the universal kempo organization, it is part of the kajukenbo family tree.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance