• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making Katana

masamune

I make weapons as my hobbie and im gonna start on a katana but i dont have the time and perserverance to get a bar o' steel and start folding it. So i was wondering if u know were i can get some "cheap" blades and scabbards.

thanx

:bigwink: :dodgy: :wink:

:bdaybiggrin:

:angel:

I know Kung fu - Neo (Matrix)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't understand your question. You will have to rephrase it. What good will cheap blades and scabbards do when you want to make swords?

Katana were not made by taking any bar o' steel and then pounding it and folding it. The ore was mined, fired, the molten steel poured into a mold. Now different sword makers had different styles but a strong concensus was a rod of iron placed in the center and the steel "folded" over several hundred to thousand times. The process was time consuming. Months necessary to complete the blade.

Unless you plan on canabalizing blades and parts to customize cheap swords I don't see how they can help you make one.

Also 99.9%(slight exaggeration) of swords bought through magazines or dojos are 440 or 420j stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 50-60+ Pretty poor in quality if you are considering a blade worthy of combat.

If not then anything will do even a car spring.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Heh, I was contemplating making a katana once because of the lack of quality ones on the market (well, out of the ones I can afford), but had the same problems. Hopefully, Ill have the time and resources sometime in the future.

ok peeps thanks for helping me but im on a new project i have to make my self a new wooden katana (i just froke my first one) ohh yeah and i found were to get real katana blades (of course in the thousands) from like the boshin war and he revolution era.

:kaioken: :karate: :angel:

I know Kung fu - Neo (Matrix)