• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for Kyokushin students

The Search

Hey Everyone! Great Frorum! First Martial art forum I have found that isnt full of Pointless Egotisical "Opinion Wars"

Anyway, I am currently a Wing Chun/ BJJ Student, And I love it!

Problem is I am moving back to NZ for uni... the city where i am going doesnt have a good WC school, so i have been looking for something else.

I am quite interested in Kyokushin, I like the Spiritual quality, and Strong/hard training methods(knowlege gained from internet research)

The town where i am going has a kyokushin school with good reputation.

But I have recently been watching video clips of kyokushin tournaments, and it seemed to me that because of the rule of no punching to the head, the competitors guard(arms) were very sloppy and tucked in to protect the body. and they mainly used there arms to push away or create space for kicking....

I am not criticising this, I understand that under the given rules, this is an effective technuique.

I am wondering if this is a reflection of typical kyokushin style?

if you were in a streetfight would you still face up like that?

if you were in an mma fight, would you feel much more comfortable kicking than boxing?

I am doing mma type traing at the moment and would not last a second without a strong guard.

thanks for any help!

With All Due Respect,

The Search

The Way is not in the sky, The Way in the heart.

[buddha]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dear friend:

I am a student of Shito-ryu Karate-do but between my friends this one a group of Kyoskushinkai called Yuwa-kai in Mexico Country. They invite me to train with them and I help them in your examinations doing Kumite. Is very hard style.

But is more that only Kumite or competitions, the rules of competition do not have validity in a real situation, it I believe that we all know, these rules were created for the safety of the students in the competitions. Serious slightly intelligent to defend himself in the same way with that one competes in a real aggression.

The competition is a slight thing, the real aggression is different very different.

Often an art is judged for the form in which we see it in competitions, remember that in these there is a regulation, what we see this one limited by this one.

If you were a boxer in a street fight would you wait for a referee to explain the rules, shake hands and come out fighting? If you're in competition, you play by the rules. If you're not in competition, there are no rules.

Check out the dojo. Watch some classes. Talk to the students and see if you can take a sample class. If you get a chance, point out the impracticality of their guard and offer pointers. :D

Thanks for the replies!

So if the sport is just the sport......

Can you tell me about your art?

if you were to take the full contact sparring out of kyokushin, what would caracterise its style?

what are its strong points?

"KARATE" is such a general term, what do you feel, defines Kyokushin?

respectfully

The Search

[buddha]

Is such a false belief that in Kyokushin the head is not a target. We practice head punching and blocking every class, you must also remember that in tournaments the head is a target but only with the legs and knees. Sloopy hands, don't think so, you have to have your hands up and be so ready to block head kicks because they are coming fast and hard. If you don't think those guy's and girls don't hit hard with those hands, think again

What would characterise Kyokushin, perseverence, hard training and spirit. I agree with the punisher, you have to train it and train it for a few years to truely understand it. A way of life? Has been mine for a few decades. Kyokushin is a worldwide family of people dedicated to making themselves and those they come in contact with better people, we do this through hard training and the spirit of Osu.

Good luck and train hard. I have trained many times with NZ Kyokushin, especially Shihan Bob McCallum and have always found them to be great people dedicated to the spirit of Kyokushin.

Enjoy

OSU

Thanks for the replies!

if you were to take the full contact sparring out of kyokushin, what would caracterise its style?

what are its strong points?

"KARATE" is such a general term, what do you feel, defines Kyokushin?

respectfully

The Search

your question about Kyokushin has some truth behind it and is valid, but i gotta tell you that i have watched many years of Japan full contact championships and Kyokushin fighters are the most winers.

Thanks for the replies!

Kyokushin.

At it's most superficial level, it's about the fighting. Outsiders see only that and want to know its relevence to the "street." I say its about fighting spirit, which has applications beyond street fighting.

There are many posts on this forum about Kyokushin. Read them. Still, reading posts about Kyokushin is like reading car reviews. What you need to do is test drive. Take a few introductory classes and see if Kyokushin is for you.

thanks for the insight guys!

As is with all things in life, personal experince can not be beaten.

But it was cool, to hear about it from you guys!

Good to know that your training includes head attack and defence, and that you feel your art offers alot more depth, than can be seen on the superficial level.

I will defently check it out when i get there!

Osu No Seichin, your post was great! I will be living in wellington and have the oppertunity to train with Shihan Bob McCallum.

There is also another kyokushin school which is not affiliated. I will check 'em both out.

I have been really rapped up in the study of wing chun, finding a new style has been running circles in my head!!

cheers

The Search (continues)

[buddha]