• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate's Effectiveness

GoGoGo

Please read this topic to get a sense of where I am coming from. On to the topic at hand... Basically, I'm wondering how effective Karate is in the combat/fighting scene (not for sports or play)? Is it a strong art? Would a Karate master be able to compete with Tony Jaa? I'm trying to decide what to go into, and there's an authentic Japanese Karate-Do place down the street I was thinking about. However, having read about Muay Boran (Combat Muay Thai) and seen Ong-Bak, I'm wondering if Karate is truely as strong and practical as Muay Boran or Bruce Lee's practices.

To be honest, in the past, I've always looked at Karate as board-chopping, kicking, punching, etc... But, I've never seen its use in any practical circumstances where someone is unexpectedly (or expectedly) attacked and puts it to real use against people bigger than him. The other thing that makes me question Karate is that the word is flat-out generic here in the U.S.A. Everyone is either listed under Martial Arts or Karate. Karate, Karate, Karate. It's so common that I wonder how many people are even qualified to teach it in an effective manner.

Now, it may seem demeaning that I come to KARATEForums and ask such a question, but I hope it is understood that I am DEFINATELY not trying to come off rude or anything. I just want to learn a powerful art that will actually help me in the real world (Not in the training room) as opposed to doing it for fun/sport/recreation. Because, if I want fun/sport/recreation, I'll just continue running. Thanks for all of your help.

Learner GoGoGo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably don't often see karate used in a street fight because most Karate-do practitioners don't walk around looking for fights. In fact, the skill I've most learned in karate-do is, as your idol Bruce Lee puts it, "the art of fighting without fighting".

IMO upwards of 90% of all fights that occur can be avoided without any need for violence, and they are usually caused because of a bruised ego or one's lack of self confidence thinking they have something to prove. True karate-do practitioners would never seek out a fight except when they are given no choice, and then they are fully capable of defending themselves, as I have had to in my life against vicious attackers.

Take the punches, the kicks, the breaks, the throws, etc, away from some arts, and you have nothing left. Take them away from karate-do, and you have a moral and ethical value system that can guide you to greater harmony with your home, work, and social environment.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

First of all, I wouldn't worry about comparing martial artists to Tony Jaa or Bruce Lee.

Tony Jaa is a stunt man, not a fighter. He is in phenomenal shape but it is impossible to know how good he is at fighting from watching his movies. Bruce Lee, likewise has no real fight record and is known mostly as an actor, coach and martial art philosopher.

Movies are as far away from real fighting as you can get,

So with that in mind, focus your research on full-contact fighting venues (there are lots!) and you'll find the answers you are looking for.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I thought I'd point out that I'm fully aware that fighting is not usually necessary, but I'm talking about when one actually is required to fight, is Karate very helpful?

Another question I have is about board breaking. Is it always done in Karate-Do? Is it always necessary? I ask because I'm not too fond of the idea because it doesn't seem to have much to do with self-defense to me. As Bruce Lee put it, "Boards don't hit back." I read about some belt tests requiring this on this message board and I'm a little confused as to why chopping boards would have anything to do with self-defense.

Also, I'd like to ask what your guys' opinions are on this video and what it says. Thanks again.

Learner GoGoGo

I also agree with Sohan. Not every karate is the same. There are schools out there who focus on sports karate, and that's fine for athletiscm, but not for realistic self defense.

You may need to do a bit of research on karate (or other MA schools) to find out what you want.

The link you posted was sports karate, nothing more, nothing less.

Board breaking is useless. I don't see a reason for it. If you want to practise focus, use a focus pad, or better yet, use a person's body.

Unfortunatley GoGoGo, I do not think Karate is for you because you are already perceiving it as a negatively affective Martial Art. Going to a dojo to train initially for you may not be a good experience because you will be entering it with bad interpretation of what you feel Karate reflects. I do believe that Karate is a very affective MA to use a self defense in any situation. I do not intend to use my skill in a caged ring and fight the next K-1 champion. I joined Karate for several purposes and have found that I have benefited in several areas of my life. I am a better person for studying and practicing the art. I also know that if a situation arises where I may need to protect myself, that I have been prepared to do so. If you are interested in fun, exercise, and UFC type of training, look for a UFC training center. Good luck. By the way, board breaking usually is not required. It is a great way to focus, build self esteem (especially in younger students and lesser ranked students), and a nice way to get an idea of what it feels like to hit a solid object. It is definitely not used in our dojo to predict whether you will rank or not.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.