• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shureido New Wave 2

I just got this through the post about 30 minutes ago. It took a long time corresponding via email to get the measurements right. The time difference did not help. Once it was ordered it has taken about 2 weeks to get here, which I think is quite fast. I got them to cut the sleeves and pant lengths to approximate tournament cut.

Initial impressions - very blue! Strange material - a bit like a thick t-shirt but does not fold/crease as much. The ends of the sleeves, trousers etc. are very thick. It gives it more weight and perhaps helps it to fall. Very light! It looks good. Will try it in practice later this evening.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please let us know.....I own a few Shureido and am curious about the new wave.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

They say that the blue tint is the guarantee you're getting the genuine product.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

NW's blue coloud fades a bit during the first few washes. It'll stay bluish, though. I like it - it won't turn yellow via time and looks whiter than the "real white" under artificial lights.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

This Gi looks good. I'm in the market for a new gi and have yet to try one of the higher praised gi on the market. I like the cotton/poly blend. I also like that this gi is pretty light, yet looks like a heavier gi. I am concerned about the noise I've heard it makes though. I don't want to sound like am rubbing sand paper together with every step I take. Just how loud is the sound it makes for normal movement? Any one know? People have to beable to hear me when I'm moving around barking out commands.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

This Gi looks good. I'm in the market for a new gi and have yet to try one of the higher praised gi on the market. I like the cotton/poly blend. I also like that this gi is pretty light, yet looks like a heavier gi. I am concerned about the noise I've heard it makes though. I don't want to sound like am rubbing sand paper together with every step I take. Just how loud is the sound it makes for normal movement? Any one know? People have to beable to hear me when I'm moving around barking out commands.

It's as loud as a loudest cotton do-gi. It's not overly loud - mostly the sound coes just from techniques, not from normal walking. It's not "sandpapery" sound.

If you iron the do-gi (recommended), it'll reduce the sound a bit.

Don't let the sound issue to become an obstacle. It's not that bad. The NW-series (I have a NW-3, after and alongside many other high quality uniforms) are - so far - the best karatedo-gi I've ever seen. I definitely recommend those.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Well I wore it last night in training. I need a couple of weeks before I come to any conclusions. But quickly (and don't hold me to this yet), the things I noticed was that it was light. I have a 12 oz brushed cotton gi and I'd say it seemed quite a bit lighter. The NW 2 is supposed to be lighter than the NW 3, but heavier than the NW1.

It felt good to train in. It's very soft. It's very easy to move in.

"I am concerned about the noise I've heard it makes though. I don't want to sound like am rubbing sand paper together with every step I take".

I don't recall it making that much if any noise when walking for example. There was no sand papery noise. The material is suprisingly soft and flexible. However, it does snap, which is surprising given how light it is. I didn't find it loud. Quite a nice crisp sound. Not in your face, but noticeable.

I remember thinking it was pretty good (strange even) last night. It felt a bit posh knowing that it was this 'newer' material an' all. I'm tempted to agree with Jussi. It is a different experience. But I need more time with it. I've washed it today, and will try to wear it as much as possible over the next 2 weeks.