• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too fat or too late to do this?

When I was young I thought that 30 was old. :D Now,

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 23 and I feel old!

Other than obvious health limitations dont feel that you are too old or too anything to start an MA - a good instructor will set a pace you can live up to and not pressure you if you are feeling unsure.

Good luck if you havent started anything yet, if you have then let us know how you get on!!!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Im 23 and I feel old!

Other than obvious health limitations dont feel that you are too old or too anything to start an MA - a good instructor will set a pace you can live up to and not pressure you if you are feeling unsure.

Good luck if you havent started anything yet, if you have then let us know how you get on!!!

Old at 23! When I was your age.... I always wanted to say that.. :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

You can start a martial art any time you want.

When you pick a school, you should decide what you want to get out of it ex:(physical fitness, or self-defense)

Sit in on a few classes and see if they are working toward your goal.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Hey everyone. My first post here. A guy I work with has got me very interested in the idea of studying a martial arts discipline. I've always wanted to, but have been way too intimidated. I'm 5'9" and about 230lbs, i'm going to drop some weight, dieting/working out. But i'm 23 years old, am I too late to get into this and be able to be competitive at it, i'm extermely competitive and would love to be able to do this. BTW I'm in Rockford, Illinois so if anyone has any places to recomend please do, thanks a lot.

Jake

PS How will I know if a place is bunk?

When I started training in Martial arts I was 342 lbs (I am 5'10"). I am much lighter now and not having any real difficult either. Just make sure you do not lost the weight too quickly and that you change up to a more healthy diet (if not already). You'll be doing more so increasing your protein intake would probably help out.

Have fun!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you for sure, you are neither too heavy or too late. This training will only help you. And you can still become quite good, even starting at the age of 23. This should not be a concern.