• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely not...I will be 40 this year and have returned to Karate after a lay off of over 20 years.

Yes, there are a lot of things I cannot do now that I could do as a teenager but fortunately I have a Sensei who recognises this.

I recently passed my first grading and had the family there to watch. It was a fantastic feeling!

My only regret is not going back sooner.

Just jump onboard and go for it!!!! :D

• 1 month later...

To all you people thinking you're too old to start a martial art, I'm 47 and just started karate. Never done anything like it before, been training for the last 3 weeks and it's the best all round exercise I've ever tried and also the most addictive.

I was totally unfit but already in just a couple of weeks, I'm starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can move easier, think clearer, reactions are sharper and as a fat slob wobbling around the dojo doesn't look good it makes you think about your diet too. Already, without a huge change in diet I've lost about 6lb.

I found Squash is suicide, regular repetitive exercise, totally boring and not really any interest in other sports. With MA comes the discipline of pushing yourself, clearer mind, confidence, self defence, awareness and so on.

Ok, I'm lighter than some of you at 190lb but I still consider myself more than 20lb overweight.

It is hard but then I look at the experienced, Dan graded, younger guys and see how hard it is for them too - it's all relative to how much you put in. The main thing to remember when you start is nobody is expecting a Bruce Lee performance!

Your age is just a number, it's what you do that counts. I for one am not ready to succumb to the middle-age stereotype man which is obese and inactive!

So take that first step and get yourself to a dojo near you!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

• 7 months later...
Hey everyone. My first post here. A guy I work with has got me very interested in the idea of studying a martial arts discipline. I've always wanted to, but have been way too intimidated. I'm 5'9" and about 230lbs, i'm going to drop some weight, dieting/working out. But i'm 23 years old, am I too late to get into this and be able to be competitive at it, i'm extermely competitive and would love to be able to do this. BTW I'm in Rockford, Illinois so if anyone has any places to recomend please do, thanks a lot.

Jake

PS How will I know if a place is bunk?

First thing , it is never too late i know people who are 60,70 and are still doing martial arts or have only started in the last year. The fat issue is easy just lose it , get some will power and lose it , if you carnt then u wont be able to comit your self to the arts.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I started my Karate training a year and a half ago at the age of 24. I was a heavy smoker and weighed 184 lbs. I'm 5'9"

When I quit smoking, I gained - I am about 215 right now and trying to lose. But at least I'm healthy now and I can breathe. When you do any form of martial arts, you can either breathe or pass out!

You will love how invigorated you feel after a work-out. If you are interested in training in MA, go for it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

23 is a great age, I think. The typical age for an adult class at my school seems to be late 20's into early 40's. My Sensei will be 61 this week and she looks like she's about 45 ;)

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

Hey and welcome aboard. As has been said, it's ceratinly not to late.

If you're still looking for a school in the rockford area check out No Joke Martial Arts. It's off of Perryville at Crimson Ridge. This is actually the school that I help out at. I'm over there about once a week for the grappling/mma class. The owner runs a bunch of different classes all week long in several differet specialities. Come in a check us our if you get the chance.

PM me if you have any questions about the school.