• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too fat or too late to do this?

Hey everyone. My first post here. A guy I work with has got me very interested in the idea of studying a martial arts discipline. I've always wanted to, but have been way too intimidated. I'm 5'9" and about 230lbs, i'm going to drop some weight, dieting/working out. But i'm 23 years old, am I too late to get into this and be able to be competitive at it, i'm extermely competitive and would love to be able to do this. BTW I'm in Rockford, Illinois so if anyone has any places to recomend please do, thanks a lot.

Jake

PS How will I know if a place is bunk?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not dead, it's not too late too start. Check with your Dr. before you start anything. The fun begins once you get the OK from your doc.

Check out the schools close to your home. As a beginner, you're more likely to keep with a martial art that's easy to get to. Watch a few classes. Talk to the students. Aske them where else they trained or looked before joining the school in question. Look at the black belts. Are there many or few? Many might mean that the place is a mill that churns out low quality black belts or that it has been in business for a long time and retains its students very well. Visit at least two schools so that you can make intelligent comparisons.

Good luck.

Your only limitation is you. I was about the same height as you and I weighed about 225 pounds many years ago when I started Karate. Between the training and some dietary assistance I got down to about 170. Of course I am not there today but my point is the training itself, along with a sensible diet will bring down the weight especially if you really don't do much right now in the way of exercise.

Martial Arts is somewhat adictive and as you continue to train you will get to the point where you look forward to the training.

Unfortunately i am not familiar with any school is Rockford, Illinois but I would suggest looking into your local park district to see if they have classes.

As Meguro suggested check into a number of places and make an intelligent comparisoins.

Good luck in your search and on you eventual path

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Most of my adult class is in their late 20's/ early 30's. I have a black belt that started when she was 50, and another black belt that is 335lbs. Both are great martial artists and if you were to ask them, both are very glad they started training.

Go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really excited, I email a couple of places, one hasn't emailed back yet, and another a Tae Kwon Doe place the Master Instructor emailed me back, and gave me his number to call with questions, so I'm going to do that, and then check out another place called AFTA where the instructor is in the Black Belt Hall of Fame *I think that's what it is* that seems like a good oppurtunity. But agian thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Jake

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really excited, I email a couple of places, one hasn't emailed back yet, and another a Tae Kwon Doe place the Master Instructor emailed me back, and gave me his number to call with questions, so I'm going to do that, and then check out another place called AFTA where the instructor is in the Black Belt Hall of Fame *I think that's what it is* that seems like a good oppurtunity. But agian thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Jake

Be wary of instructors that push their credentials as "Hall of Fame" martial artists. There are many different Halls of Fame out there, and many aren't worth two cents. It's like the old skit with Jim Carrey where he announces to his class that he is a "World Champion"---the term doesn't mean much unless you know more about the organization the person is connected to. And as a newbie, you likely won't know the difference.

"World Champions" and "Hall of Famers" are a dime a dozen. Try a few classes at a given school and then go with your gut instinct. If you feel comfortable and safe, and sense that the school is genuinely interested in your progress, then you're probably right.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

You're welcome. It's my pleasure. :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I was 27, 5'9 and 220 lbs. I'd been off martial arts for about two years and spent those two years at a desk job. If it wasn't too late for me, it's in no way too late for you.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wow. Since when are 23 year-olds old?

:o

I believe my Sensei was in his 40's when he STARTED taking martial arts.

As for you physical fitness, I've met many people who have used martial arts as a means of exercise to take weight off and/or get in better shape. At a minimum, it can be the catalyst you need to make lifestyle changes to improve your overall health.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse