• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

During a Kata/Form

June1

While performing a kata or form, what do you guys picture or think about? Are you picturing an opponent, or just thinking about the moves? One sensei actually suggested to me picturing having to save someone you love while doing the kata to make it stronger. I normally just think about the movements I'm doing, but maybe I'll add that to the mix.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While practicing any kata of form that I am not very confident I always think of the movements, proper stances, and good technique. When doing those that I am very comfortable with I think of nothing. I clear my mind completly and move wihout thought. From doing this I gain almost a spirtual experience. Now when competing I usually visualize my children and their desire to see mommy do good. I think that if I tried to perform while thinking of protecting the lives of my boys then I simply could not focus on technique, stances, or even the movements. It is my personal opinion that katas are training tools, and it is impossible to actually defend yourself or someone you love doing any form or kata. More than just a training tool they put the word Art in Martial Arts, because they are also a means of artistic expression.

Heather

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

I too have been told to visualize an attacker. Unfortunatly I have very poor visualization ability (ie I can't really picture anything in my head, much less an attacker).

Otherwise it depends on what I am trying to achieve...

If I am learning a kata, then I focus on the next move.

If I'm practicing in general, on a kata that I have known for a very long time. Then mostly I focus on nothing, only occasionally do I pay specific attention to something that I know I am weak on in that kata. (Like locking out my back leg at a specific point, or looking before a certain turn, etc)

If I'm practicing a kata I know fairly well, but havn't known it for ages. Then I focus on all of the small points that I know I need work on in general. Or I pick a specific thing to work on, such as power, breathing, etc.

If I am competing, then I focus on nothing. I would discribe it more in detail, but I havent competed in a long time so I can't recall specifically.

When training students...

First I have them focus on the techniques, doing the right ones in the right order. They should be able to do the kata quickly without thinking. I like to tell them that I should be able to wake them up at 2 am and ask them to do the kata, and they would be able to. If not, they haven't memorized it well enough.

Then I have them focus on stances.

Then I have them work on other specifics, like keep your hand at your waist, punch to the center, etc...these are different for each student.

Next I have them focus on well...focus...keeping their eyes pointed at the target, and looking before they turn their head. This is also the stage where I work on their breathing.

Finally power is added.

BTW this is also rank equivalent...early belts focus only on memory, stances, and specific issues. Intermediate belts add focus, breathing, and power.

This is just me though...but I guess I thought it could be helpful.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I visualize my attacker to the point where I view the bunkai. Someday I actually hope to see my opponent within the confines of the kata :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

When teaching kata and performing it in class I try to visualize the attacker. But on belt tests and when performing in front of alot of people I just try to look intense and concentrate on stances and doing the moves with power.

In our school we perform a training method called the Seven Ways of Kata. You perform the kata seven times with a different emphasis each time:

*breathing-focus on controlled breathing on each move.

*kiai-kiai whenever you feel the urge.

*eye contact-make eye contact with your imagined opponent.

*power-all moves with power.

*speed-all moves with speed and quickness.

*pauses-take more pronounced pauses between moves.

*fighting combinations-combine moves to create series within the kata, as opposed to a flat rythmic performance.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

i think of the opponent and how i move. i don't think of the kata. it should b memorized and done without even the need 2 think.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

I'm so inspired by your post Sohan! I'm preparing for my 5th kyu test and I've been feeling like I've reached a training plateau in my katas. I think I'm going to try a few techniques from your list. Thanks :D

I love Karate Forums! Helpful even when I don't realize I have a question!

In our school we perform a training method called the Seven Ways of Kata. You perform the kata seven times with a different emphasis each time:

*breathing-focus on controlled breathing on each move.

*kiai-kiai whenever you feel the urge.

*eye contact-make eye contact with your imagined opponent.

*power-all moves with power.

*speed-all moves with speed and quickness.

*pauses-take more pronounced pauses between moves.

*fighting combinations-combine moves to create series within the kata, as opposed to a flat rythmic performance.

With respect,

Sohan

We do this very similarly, the focusing allows us to get into the kata and learn all of it's subtle techniques as well as the overt ones. We will also perform the Kata in reverse, and sometimes mirror the kata. For example with one kata starting a technique to the right, we'd start it to the left and go from there.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Wow, great responses, guys! Thanks!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."