• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Gi: 100% Cotton or cotton poly blend?

Armbar

What Kind of Gi do you like?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Gi do you like?

• Cotton/Poly blend
    • 100% Brushed Cotton
    • What?

Hey everyone.

What kind of gi do you prefer?

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shureido's new blends (NW and FA). Heavyweight and combining the best qualities of both cotton and polyester (more durable, dries faster, is stiffer, more comfortable).

100% cotton is also OK, although not as good.

Cheap and light poly/cottons, then, are the worst thing there is.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I am suprised that the poll is almost even.....I thought 100 % cotton would be ahead by far.?.?.?.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I am suprised that the poll is almost even.....I thought 100 % cotton would be ahead by far.?.?.?.

That's because of the modern high quality poly/cotton blends. Top brands have taken the development past cotton.

If the poly/cotton would still mean the same as it did 5 years ago (in case of karate uniforms), nobody would vote it.

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

That's because of the modern high quality poly/cotton blends. Top brands have taken the development past cotton.

If the poly/cotton would still mean the same as it did 5 years ago (in case of karate uniforms), nobody would vote it.

I see your point....I guess I should jump into the modern times and try one of the newer blend gi's.....In my head they all remind me of the horrible century ones that came out in the late 80's (if you remember) :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

In my head they all remind me of the horrible century ones that came out in the late 80's (if you remember) :karate:

I've seen similar ones (Century isn't a big brand here in Europe) and they're horrible, that is true.

I used to swear by cotton until I saw some of the new ones and eventually purchased one. When the do-gi is lighter than cotton, more comfortable, dries fast (in 2 hours after washing) and still looks like a heavyweight cotton uniform, it is something special.

New materials do not sacrifice the traditional look and feel. They only make it better.

Try the Shureido NW-3 - if you like the heavyweight feel - or NW-2 for a bit lighter feel. You will be surprised.

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

Thanks for the info, I just purchased a KW-11 (middleweight)....My next will be one of the new waves, the NW-2 would be about the right weight?

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Thanks for the info, I just purchased a KW-11 (middleweight)....My next will be one of the new waves, the NW-2 would be about the right weight?

NW-3 is approximately same thickness/weight as K-11. NW-2 is a bit lighter.

Can't go wrong with either one. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland