• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rohai-Dai of Chito-ryu

uchinadi

Someone knows where I can find a videoclip on the Kata Rohai-dai of the school Chito-ryu, I am interested in doing a comparative analysis between the different Katas with this name for my thesis of karate.

Thank you very much.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I did a lot of research on rohai a few years ago then lost it all in an unplanned reformat. I wish I could remember more. I think most forms of Rohai go back to forms attributed to Itosu and Matsumora.

There were so many different forms of rohai I found. It seems there were more different forms of rohai than any other kata I did research on.

Yes is correct. I has information about this versions but in Chito-ryu the Rohai-Dai Kata was teaching by Kanryo Higaonna (?!) to Dr. Chitose. I very interesed in this version.

There were so many different forms of rohai I found. It seems there were more different forms of rohai than any other kata I did research on.

Yeah there are a lot of different versions of Rohai out there. I think I have been taught around 5 if my memory serves me. Another kata with a whole lot of versions is Bassai Dai. In my dojo, we do 3!! Bassai Dai (Shito-Ryu WKF version), Matsumura-ha Bassai (karate competition) and Matsumura Passai (close to original version).

but how many katas are valid? well what ever is out there is valid but are these realy different or are the same kata? let's say passai. i believe there are 3 of them,

1-Matsumura Passai ( passai dai in shorin)

2-Itosu Passai (Passai Sho in shorin)

3-Tomari Passai (passai in Kyan lineage)

now rest of them are off shoot , we can even say Itosu no Passai is a off shoot from Matsumura no Passai. if i am about to study the history of Passai then i will start and spend more time with these two or three.

• 10 months later...

Friends:

Thank you for your commentaries, later I put the links of different versions of the Kata Rohai in the Youtube:

Itosu Rohai Shodan or only Rohai in Wado-ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S28znFKWAfk

Matsumura Rohai in Shito-ryu:

Matsumora Rohai or Rohai in Matsubayashi-ryu:

Suikendo version of Rohai (Shorin-ryu):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9kVDKsfjYw

Shotokan version or Menkyo Kata:

And Chito-ryu version of Rohai-Dai:

About Bassai or Passai, the form Itosu Passai (in Shito-ryu, Shotokan and Wado-ryu is Bassai-dai) came from Shinbuk Tawada, in Okinawa this Kata are called Tawada no Bassai or Itosu Bassai.

About Bassai or Passai, the form Itosu Passai (in Shito-ryu, Shotokan and Wado-ryu is Bassai-dai) came from Shinbuk Tawada, in Okinawa this Kata are called Tawada no Bassai or Itosu Bassai.

This is incorrect. Tawada Patsai was the Tawada version of Matsumura Patsai. In Shorin Ryu, this is Patsai Dai. Itosu Patsai in Shorin Ryu is Patsai Sho.

This is because Chibana Chosin learned the Matsumura Patsai from Tawada. When he performed Tawada Patsai, Itosu Sensei told him to keep it and call it Patsai Dai. He told Chibana Sensei to call Itosu Patsai, Patsai Sho.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/