• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I think reading about BJJ, thinking about BJJ, and running and weightlifting are the best ways to improve your BJJ game on your own.

You do have to roll with a live partner, though.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I agree with UseoForce. You can also do bridging, shrimping, and basic movement drills. It's going to be hard to practice any techniques without a partner though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

What're the best ways to drill and practice BJJ on your own?

If you are having trouble finding a partner, try at the local high school wrestling team. See if some of them would work with you a few nights a week. They will have some idea of what you are doing. Also, if they don't wrestle after high school, maybe they would be interested in continuing their training.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow grappling (like shadow boxing) can be done. But it's not useful on it's own. Mainly you are working mobility, strength and endurance when you are on your own. Trying to do much else can leave you with bad habits.

Trying to do too much outside of that on your own is more likely to give you bad habits then good ones...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I have been learning grappling with a friend, but I also watch stuff online.

Usually what I do when I don't have a partner is take a wooden kitchen stool and practice the technique. As pineapple said, it's not the same but it gives you some of a feel for the technique.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."