• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Katas/Patterns

Phantasmic

May I ask about Bassia Ni - who told you about this kata, because to my knowledge, this name doesn't make sense...

Ni = two

Nidan = second

sho = small/minor

shodan = first

dai = major

I'm not trying to cause offence, just wondering.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my TSD school we do Bassai Dai. Did you have a question about it? I used to like it and then we made some changes and I am having a hard time unlearning it. We also have three Nianchi forms. I am working on the last. When I was beginning, I would watch others do this form and I never thought I could do. I struggled at first, but now I like Nianchi Samdan. My favorite form to do on the spot is pyang ahn sadan-don't know why-just flows for me. Chilsung ilro has been the hardest and most awkward form for me to learn. I am looking forward to learning our bo forms next.

This is for the TSD peoples. Does your instructors teach the Sip-Soo hyung? When I first started TSD, my school did. I would watch the BB's doing the form, and I loved it, but then my school dropped it.

This is for the TKD'ers. Who has the Bassai Dai form? My TKD school had it, but they dropped it when I first started.

It must be me. LOL I sign up at a school, and they drop a form ggggrrrrr LOL.

Laurie F

Yeah, we have Sip Soo

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Our school has Sip Soo Hyung as well as Basai Dai. Sip Soo is a form for our first dan b.b.'s . For our first dan we learn chilsung samro. As a first dan we learn sip soo and jin do. As second dan we learn ro hai , chilsung salo, and san chin. We also have weapons forms that are learned with these. What other forms does anyone else have out there?

" If a tin whistle is made of tin, is hook kick made from a hook?"

MBP

Come on, you can't tell me that noone had trouble with Choong-Ji. EVERYONE has trouble with Choong-Ji when first learning it. I don't know anyone that has learned it perfectly in the first month.

The problem is it's your first kata. Kata is a brand new concept for the beginner, they have to adapt.

As you progress, you get to watch the upper rank katas, so you can sortof remember certain parts of them. My sister can actually learn an entire kata just by watching it in class for a month, never even trying it. She learned one kata in a weekend.

On a side note, don't worry about how long it takes you to learn a kata. Be conserned with how WELL you know the kata, and what is the purpose for each move. Too many times I see people that only know the kata by repetion of copying someone elses moves and having no clue what they were doing. I would ask them, "what is that block you just did" and they reply "I don't know, that's just how I was taught to do it" and they get it wrong.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

I was taught a form called Bat Sai (Breaking through the Fortress), I watched the Bassai Dai kata and it looked very similar to me, I believe it's originally a Shotokan Karate kata?? The two hardest katas for me to learn was Hwa-Rang and Kwang Gae..

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-05-09 16:39 ]

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

Hey jakmak,

our bassai dai form is interpretted as breaking down the fortress, so I assume they are fairly close. I take at a TSD school, and I don't know about the origins of the form. I will ask though. We recently made changes in this form; tough to relearn a form!