Korean Katas/Patterns

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We call it Pal Chae Deh in Tang Soo Do. It not the same, but very similar.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

That's weird, tsdstud. I did TSD, but we called it Bassai Dai. I was with the International Martial Arts Assn.

The hardest form for me to learn was Pyung ahn ee dan. But now it's one of my favorites. Eventhough I do TKD now, I still practice my TSD forms (specially pyung ahn ee dan).

I saw a Shotokan school do the Pyung ahn forms (same forms, different names). If I compared it to my TSD school, I would say they were about the same. Both schools had very good technique. So I couldn't really compare the Korean version to the Japanese version. Eventhough the Shotokan school focused more on power. My TSD school focused more on "grace", making the form "flow".

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-04-22 10:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-04-22 10:45 ]

Laurie F

I can;t wait until I get to practice my Bassai Dai kata. We have a special seminar coming up and were going to practice Bassai Ni!!!

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

I don't know what the Korean version of Bassai Dai is.

But in my style of ITF TKD the hardest pattern i know in terms of difficulty is Moon-moo

With very slow high kicks it's prety impossible as it needs loadsa balance and leg strength.

The next hardest pattern i'd say is the power pattern Po-eun. Very short powerful moves all in Horse stance.

Bretty

Yeah, I think we're about the only school I've heard of that doesn't call it bassai deh. We used to, a few years before I joined. I don't know why it was changed. I've seen other bassai deh's done at open tourneys and they are very similar but there are little things diffferent. Of course, my instructor claims ours to be most authentic but who knows.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

-Spring Break '04

On 2002-04-24 00:53, SaiFightsMS wrote:

...Bretty is your po-eun like tekki or naihanchi?

Erm.. sorry i don't know? It's all in sitting stance and tho your facing the front you move to the sides all hand techniques most on the spot and no kicks apart from one to the knee.

It wouldn't surprise me if half our patterns were the same as Shotokan, it seems we stole half their patterns and added a few more kicks :roll:

Bretty

We have naihanchi forms too. I just learned the first one, I think there are 3 of them.

cho dan TSD

-Spring Break '04