• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching

Hart

I'd have to disagree Gyak, if you put two exactly the same people and one does a boxing punch (from the shoulder) and one does a karate punch (with the hip) i'd say the Karate would be stronger as you are putting your wholebody behind the punch. Either way wouldn't like to be punched by either.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have thought much of a difference, but I see you do both so you would know the differences.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

In application i perform a "karate punch" like a "boxing punch" anyway, but the bottom line is, its just punching, if your hitting hard and follow the basic principles of correct punching it doesnt matter what you call it or where you learned it from.

The idea that the karate punch has more power than a boxers straight right is not true.

I remember reading that A famous karate master was quite depressed when they tested the power of his punches compared with that of a boxers and found the boxer could hit harder. I couldnt verify that though.

But from my own experience in both arts I'd have to agree.

Both use pushing off the floor to drive the hips. But Karate keeps the rear leg straight and foot flat, which actually limits the amount of hip you can get into the movement, whereas a boxers straight bends the rear knee allowing for better hip rotation, and therefore more power.

It also uses better shoulder drive. Karate styles tend to snap the hips back on impact, whereas a boxers straight has more drive through.

Add to this the fact that karate punching from the hip requires you drop your hand leaving you open and making it slower.

These are some of the reasons why modern full contact styles use boxing style punches rather than traditional.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

The karate punch you described is the punch in its most basic form. In combat, or sparring, a karate practitioner should be free with his stance and allow his back leg to move as necassary. Also, a punch with full kime (focus and power) doesn't snap back at the hip until well after contact.

I recall reading somewhere that a karate master (Okazaki possibly?) hit at 2000psi and a heavyweight boxer hit at about 1000psi. granted the karate-ka hit with just the knuckles and the boxer hit with his whole hand, presumably, but still...

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

Our sparring is not very similar to how we train, say agianst the pads. As we are light contact the focus is more on how we strike and block effectively than the force behind it.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

It depends, boxing does have its benefits. I had been training in karate for about 8 years when our chief instructor at the time took us through some boxing training. It really opened my eyes up to how different things are when you're right up close and personal.

It also depends on what style you're from. Shotokan kumite tends to be more point sparring, therefore you get in, and get out. Whereas Goju kumite is more jiyu kumite based so you are in close with your partner a lot of the time and therefore have more opportunities to use hook punches and other similar strikes.

So in short my answer would be yes, if you train in a style that is more point sparring based as it will get you comfortable being up close with someone.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I had that problem at a recent open tournament. Was sparring against Shotokan competitors with obvious Shotokan Judges, I guess the styles didnt mix!

Karate Ni Sentinashi