• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching

Hart

I've noticed that the way we punch in Karate differs from western boxing. In boxing, the punch looks like its thrown from the shoulder and in Karate, the punch's power is generated from the hip. I tried using the traditional karate punch in sparring and I got whopped. Is the standard karate punch effective in certain situations or is just altogether impractical? Would it be best for karatekas to cross-train in boxing and abandon traditional hand punches or try to speed up their traditional strikes? I'd like to hear some thoughts on the issue. :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to use boxing in my sparring for it's quickness and combinations but when I see a target that I am confident I will hit, I switch to a traditional karate punch for it's power.

What works works

Sparring and traditional karate are 2 very different things. Light, quick and snap are good for sparring. Stability, body mechanics and focus are necessary for tradition karate and self defence. I think sparring is a great exercise for developing stamina, maai, and breaking a good sweat, But it is not karate. :karate:

Don't want to start a war here, just dropping an opinion....

Cheers!!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Although I don't use strict karate forms in sparring, my training enables me to generate more power, have better balance, and find more openings than my boxing/MT training did alone. I take a more boxing/MT stance and use a lot of the techniques, which sometimes annoys my strict karate opponents, but the mix seems to speak for itself.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I've done both, didn't stick with boxing though. IMHO I feel I get better power from Karate punches than boxing.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've noticed that the way we punch in Karate differs from western boxing. In boxing, the punch looks like its thrown from the shoulder and in Karate, the punch's power is generated from the hip. I tried using the traditional karate punch in sparring and I got whopped. Is the standard karate punch effective in certain situations or is just altogether impractical? Would it be best for karatekas to cross-train in boxing and abandon traditional hand punches or try to speed up their traditional strikes? I'd like to hear some thoughts on the issue. :-?

in reality a punch never starts from hip, in self defense or sparing both hands are up all the time. everything comes into jab and reverse initiated from your fighting gaurd there is no corkscrew punch in a real situation, every single time you will get hit if you may try, don't even wind up, every punch should get it's power buy utilizing body mass/momentum.

i've been tought 2 things in Okinawan karate(not sparing)

1-if the front hand blocks then the same hand should strike out without pulling back , the back hand should deal with the reverse punch

2-anytime possible block/parry with the back hand and in the same time strike with leading hand

a simple example , Right long punch is comming ,

in traditional basic Japanies karate( self defense)

A- I shift to left and do a middle block my reaction hand is now on my left hip and Right hand blocked ,now i fire a corkscrew punch to the rib cage.

B- in Okinawan Te version, I shift to left my left hand(back hand)parry the punch the Right hand blocks and traps the punch, now the back hand fires a vertical punch down to the rib without pulling back using body weight,

C-in a White Crane system , I turn back to a small "L" stance off the attack line, the back forearm blocks the punch and the front hand tumb takes the eye in same time. in this system both hands are open and high all the time, so even a haymaker punch wouldn't pass.

as you can see there are many different approch for the same move but the first one is the slowest.in kata application you can look at the hand on the hip as a pull.

as Brandon mentioned ,the power can generate through hip no matter where your hands are positioned.

A boxing punch is probably more powerful than a karate punch, all other things being equal. Can you really see a Karateka hitting with more force than a heavyweight boxer?

However, whilst boxing might have more power they are slower because they are hooks, at least the most powerful punches are, and boxing relies partly on throwing as many as possible and working on probability.

Being a stright line, a karate punch HAS to be faster than a hook, and generally, karate pucnhes are "cleaner" when they hit than in boxing. In terms of raw power, I would definatly say boxers can hit harder (all other things being equal, eg. the same strength, skill etc)

2 important things to remember:

1. The way you practice a punch in karate and the way it should be applied are 2 different things.

2. There are only so many different ways a person can throw a punch.