• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What can TKD learn from Karate, and vise versa?

I had heard that the Mas Oyma started the K-1. I believe he is the founder of kyokushin, but can't remember for sure. Is this the case?

mas oyama started kyokushin karate, but not the K-1, k1 is a a recently created sport.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good thread! I have gone to tournements that were attended mainly by TKD practitioners. I was surprised to see the flexibility. Awesome! However, the force behind the kicks and the strikes were lacking. It seemed they always kicked to the head area. By the time it got to my head, it had slowed and weakened. I was easily able to duck under and counter strike or sweep the opponent. As for the kata and self defense, most of the TKD students did not participate. They held out for kumite. The ones that did, showed that their schools do not heavily focus on those areas in their training. I am sure that their are TKD schools that are as the older schools were, but they are becoming far and few.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

we have a lot of japanese influince in our tkd system. a long with all the awesome kicks. we also have some chinese boxing, wing chun and very forceful self defense as well as aikido and hapkido. but thats way up in advancement i'm not there yet.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

we have a lot of japanese influince in our tkd system. a long with all the awesome kicks. we also have some chinese boxing, wing chun and very forceful self defense as well as aikido and hapkido. but thats way up in advancement i'm not there yet.

what kind of tkd is that?

can you give me info? I have never heard of your style

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

some of the original styles of tkd are very much like shotokan and never took the name switch to tangsoodo. My style is one such style. I study moodukkwon taekwondo. We learn aikido manipulations, judo throws, jkd trapping along with the basics attributed to tkd, tsd and karates. The forms we study are shotokan based as well. We teach hardcore, very violent and lethal self defenses and train old school style. But like others have said and seen, most tkd is not like this, one of the few exceptions to the rule. I'm curious to see what younwhadoug says for further info into his particular style.....wait i guess its already listed by his name; youn wha ryu tkd.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• 2 months later...

I have a strong background in Shotokan Karate and I recently started training in TKD. While I do think that there are several similarities between the two, there are many more differences. My instructor and I are learning so much from each other because of our varied styles of sparring. In Shotokan, I used mostly my hands to fight. I don't like to be caught with my feet off of the ground because I'm not a great kicker. My TKD instructor isn't great with her hands, but is an awesome kicker. When we are sparring, I am usually on top of her pretty quick because I'm short and I use my hands. This is forcing my instructor to learn to use her hands in sparring. Sometimes, just the two of us will work out together. When we do this, she is only allowed to use her hands in sparring, and I'm only allowed to attack with kicks (she still lets me use my hands for blocking purposes). With the two different styles, we are both able to improve on our weaknesses and help the other person better develop their skills.

I'd like to go out on a limb here and say that the people that don't do MA are actually right. In the big scheme of things, Karate and TKD are pretty much the same. Sure I think there are differences in the way they are taught in the mainstream, but with the massive crossover in techniques and principle coupled with the great variance in teaching styles, the combination could indeed by synonymous.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I'd like to go out on a limb here and say that the people that don't do MA are actually right. In the big scheme of things, Karate and TKD are pretty much the same. Sure I think there are differences in the way they are taught in the mainstream, but with the massive crossover in techniques and principle coupled with the great variance in teaching styles, the combination could indeed by synonymous.

Having trained in both, I can agree with you to a certain extent. To the untrained eye, they are synonymous. To a MA who has trained in both, they are not.

True, but the difference between the "Untrained Eye" and the Martial Artist is the detail at which you analyse the technique. Hence my comment "In the big scheme of things" meaning that while there is a difference, it is minimal and only detailed analysis will reveal a difference. Therefore, the only difference is details.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

having done both "olympic" and traditional TKD and Shotokan karate i can honestly say that the difference between trad tkd and shotokan is negligible. the sparing and even basics was based more around kicking over hand techniques, but on a whole it was the same, even the kata/hreungs (sp) have similarities to them. olympic tkd is a different ball game tho (the one i did anyway). the basics were done one the spot, kicks concentrated more on speed than power. however, we did have the odd power class where we did power techniques such as fully followed through round house kicks, haymaker punches etc. which were good fun, but not really TKD

Now you use head for something other than target.