• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My old school used to. We had sparring in class, but not for the whole class, so my instructor had a "sparring clinic". We'd work on combos, drills, then sparring. It was a good work out for 2 hours.

My new school has sparring once a week during half the class.

Laurie F

i am learning brazillian jiu jitsu

our classes are two hours three days a week.

first half hour or so is warmups.

one hour learning and practicing techniques.

the last half hour is all sparing.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

We have everyone work on combos during sparring days. Sometimes lower belts spar w/out pads, sometimes not. Higher belts gear up always :grin:

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

It's not a club, but yes we spar all the time. We do our training and then we spar. No pads. Mouth guard and groin guard, that's it.

Our teachers philosophy is you can't learn to fight properly if you don't train 100%. We don't go into trying to kill each other, but we make the hits count. We'll pull if we know there's going to be some damage done, but blood and pain is a regular here.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

You broke the number 1 rule of Fight Club, which is to never mention it to anybody. Oh, well, hopes nobody reads this.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

thats dumb, no pads while sparring. Really dumb.

in my tkd class, ata, we wear groin, mouth, hand and feet guards, which are small enough that they can still break ribs, but not so small that blocking will break your wrist.

In my class, we learn our distance, control and strength and weekness. I will never get to be one of those people who all the sudden lifts something heavy and says, "i dont know my own strength"...

because i do.

We learn to spar with pads, but also can pull back and stuff. I think its harder going half force than full force, it forces you to think about combos and stuff, more than how hard you can hit the other guy. It also allows you to try more daring combinations and forms that might actually work, but u would never have the pleasure of finding out, becuase there is no way to perfect it if your sparring partner makes you bleed.

i know i was rambling, but do the best u can to make sense of it :smile:

bunbu ichi

we don't use any pads at all how tough is that! lol :wink: it's alittle different for us though since we don't use any strikes either. not that that's really a limitation since i study bjj.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo